Can anyone identify this engraver?

Georgie

I found this signature (?) under the grip of a 1911 my dad brought back from WWII a looong time ago. Any idea who the engraver was? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Ar13716021671.jpg
    Ar13716021671.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 379

Georgie

OK, here's the signature alone ...

Hope this is clearer.

Attachments

• Ar13716021671.jpg
    Ar13716021671.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 261

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At first I thought that this might have been Ray Swan's mark, though the rest of the engraving looks nothing like Rays work. Looking at the enlargement, I can see that the mark is not Ray's. I went through the FEGA archive of engraver marks and can find nothing that matches. I will copy this and put it in my unknown file.

Some times I can determine the engraver by the scrollwork but the ornament on this gun is like nothing I have ever seen before.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps someone else on this forum may have an answer.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I also agree with Roger, in that it's probably not Ray's work. If the pistol was engraved closer to WWII, it's definitely not Ray's work as I know Ray Swan and the age factor would come into question. Also, I know Bruce Beebe, and he and Ray lived somewhat near me, in the early 80's, in the Buffalo, New York area.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have no evidence to support this except- a torpedo boat and carriage mounted cannon, looks like it could be from the philippines, even the name (babb?) could be philippino.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I remember meeting a person named Swan selling his father's etchings,that was when I lived in New Jersey. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Was your father a gunner's mate in the navy? There is a gunner's mate insignia to the right of the cannon on the right side of the frame. If he was, it might indicate that he had the pistol engraved for him while in the PI.

Georgie

His rank was Chief Petty Officer. Unfortunately, that's all I remember. And he never told me the circumstances of how he acquired the gun. I'm here just trying to piece the history together.

Latest posts

Sponsors