buying knives to engrave ????

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone. I have a question about buying knives to engrave and resale. I would like to buy some knives to engrave and I also have a jeweler friend who would like to start buying knives and commisioning them for me to engrave... I would probably like to spend anywhere from $100 to $1500

Basically where do I find knives for sale??

thanx for any help.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd suggest just contacting some of the better makers and ask if they have pieces they've built on spec and haven't sold yet. Occasionally even the top guys will make an extra that isn't spoken for when they're doing a run of a certain model. For starters try Rick Genovese- his work is excellent and his prices are still semi-reasonable compared to the upper crust. Another might be Joe Kious.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Jeff, cheap knives are not worth your time to engrave. Your work is good, you will get better returns on your investment, by starting with a good knife, like mitch stated. Going partners on a spec piece is a good way to go.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Try William Henry knives! I forget the exact name, but several have been shown here! Sans engraving they are $500 and up, so room to add embellishment, plus they are a known commodity.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jeff,Take the advice of Brian and Mitch your a talented engraver and should have no problem finding a custom knife maker to give you work.:thumbsup:J.J.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jeff - Also, if there are any knife shows in your area, that would be a good place to look. Holding a knife in your hand is vastly different than looking at a picture. Also, make sure you know the materials the surfaces you are planning to cut are made from. If you can make it to the annual Blade show in Atlanta, that would allow you to see a LOT.

You do great work and Brian's suggestion is on the money.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Jeff you have two of the top knife makers as neighbors there in St. George, Curt Erickson and Julie Warenski. Also, I buy knives from Dave Harvey at Nordic Knives. He gives me a discount such as a Kious and a Hoel I just bought. I have done business with him for years and have never been disappointed.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Yes Jeff. Julie Warenski and Curt Erickson are married so a visit to them would be great for you. That, of course, means you would owe me BIG TIME! Ha
Call me at 1-801-972-1166

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Jeff, I make some California style knives am not rich and famous but make a good quality knife, would joint venture some thing with you you engraving is great, send me your E-mail and will send some pictures of what I am working on. You mite go to Knifedogs.com and take a look there are quality makers there that you can buy from direct, and not go though a purveyor. Thanks Deane