Buck Nobleman Knife / input please

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I just finished a knife and was hoping to get some input on the design. Perhaps I have been looking at it too long! I feel that perhaps I ended up with the borders around the edges and also around the monogram getting a bit too busy? I generally like clean and simple. I posted two pics that show the design in progress and one final pic. What do you think? Too busy?

Also, like Stefano, who just posted a super nice Viper knife, I am struggling with the question of whether I should blacken or not. I like the clean stainless look but perhaps it would look better if I blacken? What do you think?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 238
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 2013_11_05_IMG_0606.jpg
    2013_11_05_IMG_0606.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 236

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have one that I want to work on. . How hard was it to cut? What's the hardness of your graver?

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks clean to me.nice flow, good border work. your chosen design is nice, you obviously have good control when actually cutting. not much left for me to complain about.

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Hi David,
I like your design, is simple and effective, for the blackening question i think that in your case you can leave it like it is mostly because your central cutts looks like bright cut, mine is a different situation that is usually blackened and i was wondering about an improbable different solution ;)

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Blackening experiment /New Pics

Thank you all for your comments and Carlos, yes it was pretty hard stainless and I used a carbalt graver to cut it. I resharpened with a 2000 grit stone a couple times when I felt like it was not cutting as clean.

I did in fact play around a bit with blackening. At first I blackened the whole design and I did not like it at all. Then I tried blackening just the outside border. I like that better and the new attached pics show what it looks like now. What do you think?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 2013_11_06_IMG_0669.jpg
    2013_11_06_IMG_0669.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2013_11_06_IMG_0663.jpg
    2013_11_06_IMG_0663.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 151

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm certainly not qualified to judge, but I like the blackened better. I hardly noticed the details of your border work without it. But blackened it looks great.

Todd

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your input Vlad, Silverchip and Todd. I suppose that I do tend to be somewhat of a minimalist style engraver. Perhaps as I build more confidence I will begin to add more detail.

Best regards,
David