Browning Engraved REC. HELP

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member

I found these at a local flea market. They are Browning bar rifle rec sides that have been engraved. The one rec is signed A. Marechal. Is this engraver still alive? and what era do you think they are from? I am also wondering what application they might have been used for so please any info would be great.

Thanks ZZ

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
they are 5 engravers with the name Marechal ,Alphonse,Georges,Françoise,Pierre and Florent
I know Alphonse, Françoise,Pierre and Florent died,they 're lived around Liege ,in Belgium
and all worked at the Fabrique nationale Herstal (Browning factory)
bye Rocco

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
After closer inspection of the signature it seems like first letter is an F. Thankyou Rocco for the info
I still wonder about the purpose of these. Where they used by the factory to show clients. Or was it for engravers use to show private clients.
Or were they used as a pattern plate to show other engravers what to engrave on the rec. Has me wondering what they originally were done for guess I will never know, but are a great piece of art to admire.
Thanks to all for your input, ZZ

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
we was 75 engravers in the factory,we worked only for Browning and never meet a clients,
there many levels of skill,begin with auto 5 (macana) until the best engraving (expo all inlaid)
bye Rocco

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Roco, Thank so much for the info, any thing else about these that you can in-lighten me with would be appreciated.

Thanks again, ZZ

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is an image of the signature of F. Marechal on the side of a Superposed. Does the signature on your BAR look like this one?

Attachments

• F. Marechal.jpg
    F. Marechal.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 58

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
There are no ser. numbers on the rec. The rec. have been cut in half and have a clear finish on them to protect them. Here is a photo of the signature.

Attachments

• IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Sponsors