BradyBlock review.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

I'm not one of those people who feels the need to buy the latest and greatest engraving gadget, but sometimes, something comes along which is worth a better look.

Recently, I have been demonstrating hand engraving at a number of shows across the UK & one of the daily issues I face, is the joy of carting the equipment back and forwards every morning. It just doesn't get any easier!!!

When I noticed that Brian Powley had designed a portable, aluminium engraving/scrimshaw block, you can probably understand that I just had to give it a try! So I contacted Brian and placed an order.

The light weight obviously makes it easier to transport, however the reasonable cost also means that I am happy to leave it on stand, avoiding the worry of losing an expensive ball vice.

It has proved absolutely perfect for Scrimshaw and Bulino work, and allows me to easily pass the entire workpiece over for closer inspection.

Very impressed, thank you Brian.

http://www.powleyengraving.com/profitcenter.htm

Jo

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The only thing I can't figure out is why Brian and Sandra didn't build it with a heating element so that it would auto soften the Thermaloc at the push of a button. Maybe next years model. Nice work on the engraving Jo. You have become a fine engraver in a very short period of time. Love to see your work and a very nice web presence as well. Fred

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys. :)

'Timberdoodle'... I've never heard that name before, but I'm definitely going to use it from now on, Dave! ;)

ATB,

Jo

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Now I need a new tool.

Before Sandra and Brian developed this I had made one using a plastic plumbing fixture for the base and the top cut off a rounded cedar post to hold the work. It was cheap, quick and works fine, but looks like a tramp next to theirs. I guess mine would feel more at home with hobo nickles instead of fine bulino work.

Sponsors