Border engraving steps by Lynton McKenzie

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I found this little treasure tucked away in a drawer. Lynton did this for me when I studied with him back in 1982 at New Orleans Arms Co. It shows the progression of cuts to create a double leaf border.

mckenzie_border_steps.jpg

mrthe

Wow!!!! This is great thank you for share it with us!
I'm sure tha Lynton will be very proud of his " student" today !

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Really cool Sam. Interesting, looks like he cut a center line all the way through between the border lines before he cut the "seagulls" to start the leaves. I remember you taught me this same border but I don't recall you cutting a center line first.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
He was my hero back in the early days. I talked to him on the phone several times and he was encouraging and met him once in AZ. Was helpful but hard at work on a commission and did not have hours to comment about all the work I had brought but enough to be encourage me. He was sick when I met him but gave me a couple of hours of his time. He also provided sage business advice. Showed me a couple of guns from his collection of antique arms. then I sat on a stool while he worked and listened to his monolog as he cut. Fred.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I guess that is how to do a tutorial in an inch of engraving. What an opportunity to have had the chance to know and work beside Lynton. You are a luck man Sam.
Cheers
Don

Sponsors