Bling for a flute

Andrew Biggs

Very nice brian

A question...........how do you preserve the finish on the mouthpiece? Is it pre polished and you are just very careful? Or do you polish it afterwards a bit?.

Cheers
Andrew

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The mouthpiece is a solid alloy of silver,gold or platinum (this one is solid silver)--not plated. These come to me as a finished product and are highly polished.
I just polish it up after I scratch it up!
Here's a good tip: If you are going to employ any stippling with bright-cutting, stipple first then bright-cut.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every once in a while, it's nice to work in silver.

And that's certainly nice work! :thumbsup:

I use your 'stipple then cut' tip all the time, whether I'm bright cutting the lines or not. I just find it easier to cut very lightly (if at all), stipple, and then cut the outline than to cut the design, stipple, then come back and possibly re-cut the outline.

Different for backgrounds of course - have to cut those down first.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

That is truly a bonnie lip plate!

As well as admiring your design and cutting, it does take nerve to stand on thin ice, and cut into some one else's expensive headjoint to produce such a splendid result. Maybe I am just used to risking my own work, so I take my hat off to you and the many engravers who work on collaborative projects.

Rod

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I know where you speak from---standing on thin ice, that is. However, the approach is well thought out from start to finish every time. The risk is calibrated.
Depending on the alloy, these headjoints range from $1500.00(this one)to $10,000.00.(platinum)
I guess that alone would just about make the knees buckle for the average bloke.
I've engraved thousands of these and yes----I've bought a few of them too. Of course, the ones I bought just had to be 14K gold!

Latest posts

Sponsors