Blackening Brass

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone have a good method for blackening brass? I want to do some gold damascene on a brass object and want the background a dark color. The part was originally chromed. I may be able to mask the gold and have it re-chromed, but that would put the part, with the many hours of work, into the hands of someone who could mess it up in about 12 seconds if the chrome process went poorly. Any other ideas for a durable finish/patina on brass that would compliment gold? Thanks

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Birchwood Casey cold gun blue. Get it at wallyworld in the sporting goods department behind the counter or better yet a gun store. There are two types; one is "super blue" and the other is called "Perma Blue". I think the Super Blue worked better (darker) but it's hard to find at wally world for some reason. Just about any cold blue will work though.

I just use a Qtip to apply it and it changes to black almost instantly. Works well with nickel silver too.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Tim,

Do you know if the finish will hold up to being handled? Is this the type of finish that will have to be re-applied after time, or will it hold up without much bother?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Tira,

How big is the object? If it's small enough to fit into a 1,000ml glass beaker there are several plating solutions that will give you a durable "blackish" result... Not quite a pure black. Listed under various descriptions in suppliers catalogs - black nickel, black rhodium, black chrome... Check with some of the places that do motorcycle plating for the last one.

Any of these would definitely be durable enough for a LOT of handling.

Then there are over 40 formulas for patinas that will give a pretty good black on brass. A few are available made up, others are homebrews. Some of these would stand up to moderate handling. Most could also be sealed with Incralac or the like to make them more durable.

Also, are you after a "flat" black, or a shiny/glossy black? Your results can vary by the content of the alloy of brass - is your piece red brass, yellow brass, or a light colored bronze?

Brian Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA, USA instructor@jewelryartschool.com
jewelryartschool.com
209-477-0550
Marshall Studios
Taxco, Guererro, Mexico orfebreplatero@aol.com

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,

Model railroaders have a blackening liquid they use to blacken brass model locomotives. I'm not sure of it's active ingredient but they handle the locos quite a bit after the process. Check with some of your local hobby shops.

Mark

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Tim,

Do you know if the finish will hold up to being handled? Is this the type of finish that will have to be re-applied after time, or will it hold up without much bother?
It won't wear well and will fade if handled too much. It could be sealed I suppose but I don't know what you're working on really; I was under the impression it was to be used on a relieved matted background.

I didn't read Brian Marshalls post before I typed this reply, just noticed he had chimed in and I'm on my way out the door. I can say that if he says use something then I'd take that to the bank. If there's one guy in this game that knows everything, my money would say it is him. He's done it all before and I hope he writes a book someday. I wish I lived closer cause I'd sure like to pick his brain for a few years... probably wouldn't scratch the surface! But it would make me a lot smarter. Good luck.

Birchwood - Casey use to offer "Brass Black" solution in small bottles ----- guess they still do. ken

This is the stuff, it will give the brass the aged look you are trying to achieve ? We use it in muzzleloader building to help age the brass. It will turn the brass black, then just knock it back with 0000 steel wool to the desired color.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Gravograph/New Hermes sells a liquid (in Europe) called "Gravoxoyd". That might work fairly well. Here a link
http://www.gravograph.com/ This you can use for blueing steel too. It contains selenium acid.
Maybe it is better contacting a jewelers supplier and proper advice.
Let us know or show how it turned out..
Martin

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,
Like Ken said Burchwood Case also makes a brass blackening product. I have some of it. I'll look around the shop the some of it and send it to you. I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow. If not then Tuesday.

Sandy

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sponsored LinkBrass Aging Solution
HouseofAntiqueHardware.com Solution designed to darken or age unlacqured brass metal hardware.

Ozgraver

Dipping the brass in selenium dioxide (present in most gun-bluing solutions, but you could probably purchase some from a chemical supply) for about 10-15 seconds will turn it black. If you want to try a dark brown, make a saturated solution of ordinary household baking soda and make sure all of the brass is below the level of the soda.

Shanna Moran

Tira - I use Gravoxide all the time. Pretty good black result, it's poisonous but easy to use without risk, durable to some handling, and all you need is a mask like Krylon or lacquer to protect any areas you need to have remain bright. New Hermes-Gravograph sells it. On the web www.gravograph.com. I believe. Best to you - and thanks for the info you emailed to me. I will be in touch shortly. Shanna

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
selenous acid available at any machine engraver supply. it smells, and dont get it on your skin. must be varnished or lacquered if handled.it is called an oxidizer or "letter blackener".

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,
it was a very busy day today after the long weekend. I did not make it to the post office today. I will send it next day in the morning. Sorry
Sandy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
TIRA: i have an xtra bottle of this stuff. i use about 10 drops every 20 or 30 years. if you like, i'll mail you the stuff. mail me your mailing address if you want it. jayismonk450@gmail.com

Latest posts

Sponsors