Big 5 in progress

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Diameter of circle 60mm
Steel grade AISI 1045
Tools; normal 90° push graver/ Flat graver, ceramic stone and Zeiss loupe 9×

Last edited:

tkelch

I really like the way this is looking. I have not tried this type of engraving yet and I have a few questions.
First. Is this done with small lines or dots or a combination.
Second. Do you transfer the image outline then scribe over it.
Thank you
Tom

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
I really like the way this is looking. I have not tried this type of engraving yet and I have a few questions.
First. Is this done with small lines or dots or a combination.
Second. Do you transfer the image outline then scribe over it.
Thank you
Tom

Technique; is all lines
Outlines are traced with a pantograph

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you!

When doing scene engraving even with a super sharp graver your cuts will alway have a little burr at the side this has to be removed i do it with a flat graver. By repeating this action you can get a real deep black that will stay. Thats why a burnisher should not be used because you press the bur in the cut you made.. When you don't remove the burr your engraving after be touched etc this bur will becomes shiny and your scene will loose all his character. A scene engraving always should be smooth. I also use the flat graver in the withe sections for giving tints i sometimes sculpt very lightly that way you can give white section but also the more darker ones more volume. You give it this 'extra'

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Pantograph is a simpel gravograph. You take the picture/drawing like 4 times bigger ore more than want you want be engraved and you go over the contours meanwhile it is traced perfect on the scale you want.......

Latest posts

Sponsors