best bench lighting

krisf

Hey all, Im using a single bulb florescent desk lamp now and its not so good at night.Any suggestions for a good light source thats real cheap and that plays well with the glare we deal with. i do not have a scope yet that is a few years down the road.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used a twin bulb fluorescent desk lamp for several years, and it was positioned right behind my engraving vise. Not perfect but pretty effective.

Bob Finlay in Emporia, KS uses two curly fluorescent bulbs in homemade white PVC pipe housings, one mounted above each side of his vise and attached to his scope stand. I believe they're on flexible arms. He made a set for Don Glaser who used them up until he passed away.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
adjustable arm and strength led lights are what I use,,you can adjust the angle when needed and the power output in case the item being engraved is to shiny.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I just went through the same issue. I ended up getting a 1950's flourecent, 18" tubes, ajustable arm, table edge mount sytem for 30.00 . then two Natural light bulbs. works Great for all my needs from drawing to Bulino. My Scope has an LED ring on it.

Donny

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I use a screw in Fluorescent, 100 watt equivalent, daylight color, (cold), in a old gooseneck lamp. Added a glare shield made of tracing paper to the metal shield reflector.

The glare shield really helps alot. I am happy with the system.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gold standard for us in the jewelry industry has always been the Dazor 2 or 3 bulb fluorescent lamp. The new ones are over $150 bucks but you can find them on ebay for around $50 if you watch. Buy one of the older brown ones. The old ones have all steel construction and you can't kill em. I've picked up several over the years at garage sales for $10 -15 bucks.
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
2 gooseneck led units from target. $12.00 ea. i illuminATE DOWNWARD, FROM THE SIDES, SEPERATED BY MAYBE 100 DEGREES OR SO. I REMOVED THE CIRCULAR BASES AS THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE DESK LAMPS. VERY EASY TO ADJUST IF NEEDED. YOU DON'T WANT GLARE COMING UP, SO ADJUST LIGHTING TO PREVENT SUCH.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
The gold standard for us in the jewelry industry has always been the Dazor 2 or 3 bulb fluorescent lamp. The new ones are over $150 bucks but you can find them on ebay for around $50 if you watch. Buy one of the older brown ones. The old ones have all steel construction and you can't kill em. I've picked up several over the years at garage sales for $10 -15 bucks.
Layne

Thats what I just bought on eBay two week ago!!! 1950's but NEW in the box! Its perfect for my setup...

Donny

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mostly I use a standard 300 w halogen lamp, like you would see on a job site, or as industrial or out door lighting( not the 500w)
I blasted the glass with aluminum oxide to diffuse it a bit, and it is on a short boom made of iron pipe that is part of my microscope stand.
It lights up my tools REALLY well, and is a side lite for my scope, which, in addition to my LED ring lamp really helps out the scope lighting.
I think it cost $20.
Back in the 80's I used a dazor, and they are good, but this setup is better for me.
Here is a pic, the lamp is the black thing in the upper left.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mostly I use a standard 300 w halogen lamp, like you would see on a job site, or as industrial or out door lighting

and your hands don't get cold in those Montana winters! in fact, they get tanned...

Latest posts

Sponsors