bench height

metalbender62

Hello!

I am new to this forum and hand engraving also. I took Sam's Basic Engraving class at GRS last October - it was fabulous! Ordered a bunch of tools and trying to get going in 2014.

My trouble is that I have my scope on an extra jewelers bench I had and have put the vise at it's lowest point and still can't focus sharply. Is there minimum or recommended height for the scope, bench and vise?

Thanks for any help!

Tom my engraving bench.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The procedure is as follows: 1.) Forget the vise right now and set the microscope so that it's a comfortable height. You don't want to bend over to look into it or stretch your neck. You can also raise or lower your chair. Once that's done you will 2.) raise or lower the vise until it's in focus. In a nutshell, you adjust the vise to the scope and not vice versa (no pun indented) :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, you must work comfortably. if you don't, you'll likely develop pains in your neck and back, maybe even in your shoulders. nobody can give you absolute dimensions, height, and such. take you time -eventually you'll find all the "sweet spots" you need for comfort. good luck.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, you must work comfortably. if you don't, you'll likely develop pains in your neck and back, maybe even in your shoulders. nobody can give you absolute dimensions, height, and such. take you time -eventually you'll find all the "sweet spots" you need for comfort. good luck.

I agree with monk, you have to work comfortably

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't seen the answer you are looking for or I overlooked it.

For my Meiji- 10× optics I have a 5& 3/4" stick and visually add 1/4" for a total of 6" between the WORKPIECE- NOT the vise - and the scope lens. From that base you have very little adjusting to do.
I think this gives me roughly a 3/4" work field @ 1 on your collar, BUT, your visual field will be around 1& 1/4". Outside that 3/4" ,FOR ME, is too far from the pivot point for comfortable engraving. But everyone has their own sweet spot ,as Monk said.
Also, make sure and follow Sam's advice, as that is the most critical aspect of setting up. Ten minutes of a scope at the wrong height will strain your neck muscles something fierce! :eek:

P.S.
I just looked at your pic again. Don't know if you positioned your vise for a special picture or if you work at that angle.
For me, I keep my work piece parrellel to the scope lens. The depth of focus is so critacal, that 1/4" difference, which your picture shows, will take your work piece in and out of focus as the piece rotates.
That is the reason that I prefer a self centering 4" machinists vice, as it keeps your work piece consistently parrellel with the scope lens.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cowboy: perhaps i got lucky-- i can tilt my centering vise a considerable amount while maintaining focus. the depth of field i guess is what i'm tryin to say, is rather forgiving in my case. i use a plastic "focus" gauge when adjusting something large, meaning i have to lower the vise support shaft. when the gauge just touches the object and the scope objective housing, i'm good to go.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Monk
That would be great, IF , my scope would do the same. I have even considered tilting my entire setup to get that angle for less strain being in an unnatural position.
Jeff

Latest posts

Sponsors