Beginning Tools and set up

bluenote38

Hi All - just beginning. I've read through the tool list and and have most (pic of my current kit below). Meeks and Griffiths are coming. I'm a wood carver so have stones and plates from 80 through 8000 and am pretty good at hand sharpening but... getting any consistent edge/point on these tiny tools is hard. I've look at Lindsey and GRS. What's the recommendation for sharpening jigs/fixtures/holders without having to sell my first born. I like Lindsey's simple concept but not sure about committing to his Parallel Point(?) GRS seems like a lot of tooling is needed.

Any thoughts or direction?

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_045555340_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181012_045555340_HDR.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20181012_045544769_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181012_045544769_HDR.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 59

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
looks like your off with a bang, Steve Lindsay's 116 Universal with the fixture, is what I purchased in 2015, the system is geared toward 3/32 square gravers and a 1/2" thick stone height. When you get the geometery down with that , you can really do alot for a long time before any other sharpening devise/system may be considered. I don't Steve's fixture will handle the glardone blades/gravers.......he might have something tho. Regards, Rob

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
For hundreds of years engravers have sharpened their tools by hand.
As a wood carver you say you are good at sharpening and the same goes with push gravers.
Just a little practice and if it cuts you're good to go.
And you already have a good selection of stones. Give it a try

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Spend a little time reading about the angles that gravers are sharpened. A Google of images of "homemade graver sharpening jigs" will give you simple ideas of creating a sharpening system. You will need to know the angles so your "wasted" time will be searching for ideas to create a system. The more you know about the angles of gravers, the better off you will be.

bluenote38

Thanks - I p
looks like your off with a bang, Steve Lindsay's 116 Universal with the fixture, is what I purchased in 2015, the system is geared toward 3/32 square gravers and a 1/2" thick stone height. When you get the geometery down with that , you can really do alot for a long time before any other sharpening devise/system may be considered. I don't Steve's fixture will handle the glardone blades/gravers.......he might have something tho. Regards, Rob

Thanks - I pulled the trigger on the Lindsay Universal and looking forward to getting that and a couple of blanks. after using the "Old School" gravers I have it's pretty obvious that 1) sharp is critical and 2) while I can "kind of" get there I really need a jig for consistency. Once I get these sharp boy do they cut sweet. REALLY nice curls. Of course I have not artistic ability so it looks like chicken scratches but at least I can remove metal... usually :)

papart1

Good deal, if there is anything needed in engraving, my buddy Steve can fix you up. The proper geometry of the finished graver will talk to you as your using it, for instance if one heel is very very slightly off from the other, you will be alerted as soon as you take off, practice practice, liek I do. Best wishes Rob

papart1

There are classes, dvd's, books etc on sharpening, but still think the best way to get good, is practice. Everybody does it........even the big guns! Have fun with it, Rob

Latest posts

Sponsors