Beginner needs some sound advise.

midmo9236

I am in the process of starting my adventure in engraving and would like go get some advice on on books, dvds, and am trying. to find a person who offers classes in my area in mid Missouri. I have to many responsibility to go somewhere for a week. Thanks in advance for you're input.:tiphat:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Sam Alfano has at least 3 that are definitely worth having. There's a banner on this page that leads to them.

Lee Griffiths has one of the best I've ever seen on drawing. Also has a banner on here.

Start with drawing, then graver sharpening, then the instruction for actual scroll & ornamental engraving.

Brian

Does Ray list a phone number? Maybe try that, or his facebook page?

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I would suggest Art of Engraving by James Meek as an overall venture into hand engraving. Though published many years ago it is still very relevant and full of information. Can be had from Brownells and other locals.

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
I would suggest Art of Engraving by James Meek as an overall venture into hand engraving. Though published many years ago it is still very relevant and full of information. Can be had from Brownells and other locals.

Brownells had them on sale. I don't know if there are any left, but it's worth a look.

Dan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
chris decamillis used to offer "one-on-one classes in real time. this was done hooking up his video camera to your computer monitor. he offered a very flexible scheduling arrangement. i'm not sure if he still does this.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Meeks book was well before power assisted engraving. It is based on hammer & chisel. Power assist has a much shorter learning curve imho. I still cut h & C but I don't do it for a living for me its a hobby. I found his (MeeKs) sharpening advise confusing. Neil Hartlieps book is much better imho. The late great Lynton McKenzie has videos that are outstanding and show correct sharpening and tool geometry and he cuts push & h & C. Sam started this site years ago and you can probably find out just about anything you want here without buying a book!

Latest posts

Sponsors