Bead setting, Pav'e setting, and what am I doing wrong?

Dilland

Hello all, first of all, HUGE FAN. Long time reader, but never have I before this year thought I was even worthy enough of talking amongst some of you greats.

Anyway, onto my hopeful question. HOW do you guys bright cut your bead settings? What shapes of gravers do you use for the various processes? ( between cutting the beads, raising the beads, and of coarse bright cutting the frames) I seem to have found everyone does it slightly to their own preference. This of coarse is horribly frustrating for a newcomer like me, learning from books and online videos that can be vague at best. Attached are a few of my pave attempts, but as you can see my borders are just not what they should and could be. PLEASE HELP! and thank you!

Attachments

• Angle_1.jpg
    Angle_1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Angel_2.jpg
    Angel_2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Angle_2.jpg
    Angle_2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Angel_3.jpg
    Angel_3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 236

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest buying the A.Sidorov book from GRS. It has many step by step pictures of his setting method. No words. Only pictures. But you can deduce what's going on. Layout and accurate drilling are probably the hardest part to master. It's the beginning step which if not done well you'll have a near impossible time getting it to look right.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
To answer your question in simple terms.
You need a polished flat graver without a heel for bright cutting. The under side of the graver needs to be polished. I polish mine with the red 3M wet or dry polishing cloth. Just 3-4 strokes on the cloth is enough. Be sure to hold the graver absolutely flat on the cloth and draw/pull the graver over the cloth.

Latest posts

Sponsors