Be Great to have spare cash

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I was going to add it to my cart, but they only have one and I was looking for a pair. Oh well.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
It's a beautiful rifle; just a shame no one will ever shoot it. You have to wear white cotton gloves just to hold it. Great craftmanship, wonderful engraving,... but useless.
Kind of like marrying a beautiful woman and never being able to kiss her.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a beautiful rifle; just a shame no one will ever shoot it. You have to wear white cotton gloves just to hold it. Great craftmanship, wonderful engraving,... but useless.
Kind of like marrying a beautiful woman and never being able to kiss her.

Anyone who can afford to buy that rifle can afford to shoot it. The white gloves are used by the dealer to convey the image of great value.

When displaying my engraving at a gun show (which I rarely do anymore) the one thing that annoys me more than anything is people who come by and feel like they have to remark something to the effect of "I would never have a gun like that because I'd be afraid to shoot it."

I have hunted with and shot in competition with ornately engraved guns for years. Go to the Grand American trap shoot or a championship sporting clays match and you will see people shooting Perazzis ans Krieghoffs valued at over $50,000. A good example of this is a Holland & Holland double rifle that was engraved and gold inlayed by Mike Dubber. Probably valued North of $100,000. The owner used and carried it so often in Africa that he returned it to Mike to have the engraving and finish refreshed.

If a person will pay over $2,000,000. for a Bugatti Veyron and drive it I see no reason that a similarly wealthy person would not shoot that rifle.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

My point was not about the value of the Dubber engraved H&H but that people who can afford luxury goods are not afraid to use them. Perhaps Mike can tell us the value of that particular gun as a sidelight. If memory serves, the engraving was commissioned by H&H at the request of the owner.

This passion for "factory engraved" comes mostly from those who collect antique american guns, ie. Colt, Parker, Winchester, et al. One of the times I was in London I saw a Griffnee engraved H&H for sale for 105,000. pounds sterling. Phil did not engrave the gun in the H&H factory.

A discussion about aftermarket values of custom guns is probably best left to another thread.

Cheers,
Roger

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, you make a valid point. Those few who are abundantly well heeled and can afford a firearm such as was shown would probably not think twice about taking it out into the bush in search of game. And then there are those many of us work-a-day people who live in the real world who place a special value on exquisite items such as that rifle.

Just as soon as I hit the $300 Million Dollar lottery I'm gonna have me one of them rifles. Maybe a matched pair of them. But, until then I'll have to be content with a common, off the shelf, Remington 700 BDL that I personally engraved...and yes I do push the bush with it. ;~)

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Apologies for pointing out the obvious... but I do feel there's something missing!

The rifle doesn't seem to have any mounts for a scope... even if there were mounts, there's no room for a scope in the well fitted 'custom' box... and to top it all, there are no iron sights either!!!

Doh!!! :confused: :biggrin:

So, is a rifle without sights called a cannon or a club!?! :biggrin:

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I own the worlds most expensive rifle.........
My dad gave it to me when I was a kid. I would put a value on it at around the $1,000,000 mark. It's a model 49 Ithaca saddle gun.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to question the "world's most expensive rifle" tag. Why would this basic engraving skills, almost no inlay, fancy walnut stocked rifle be the most expensive? Is it made of platinum? Was it owned by Elvis? I like it, it's beautiful, but the most expensive rifle in the world? I don't see it here.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do a search for engraved to limit the guns to a couple hundred. They have colts with serial #2 and 18.

Latest posts

Sponsors