Banknote

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to thee forum. hopefully there's a few here that can help you

Da Do Ron Ron

They have got to be pretty scarce these days. Just wanted to talk to any of them about incredibly detailed engraving

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
I wish to replicate a banknote. Haven't chosen a base material for placement. I can't decide if copper, brass, or steel would work better. I would make it ridiculously oversized, of course. (as to avoid unwanted attention from government officials).

Heritage Auctions is a great place to see various banknotes from around the world. They offer many older notes as well.

From my observation, there is a lot of bulino engraving on them, as well as standard lettering engraving, and scroll design. Acanthus inspiration can also be found in them, IMO.

Any current Banknote is an excellent resource for study of master engraving techniques. Especially shading.

If you're only taking quarters today, then my 2 pennies won't be of much use.

I beg your pardon my intrusion, and I'll take my leave.

T.G.III

Hate to say it, but due to the captain obvious, if you're engraving and posting on a public forum you already have their attention, just saying.

Enjoy

Da Do Ron Ron

Always go steel if you can. You’re going to be doing a great deal of hand engraving and etching and copper is notorious for being difficult both to finish sharp and keep scratch free unless you have years of experience. I did some of my work on copper but had the plate making guys give it a flash coating of chrome. It gave the copper the feel of steel. Remember, planning is everything!! Series E !

alwayslearning2012

Thanks for your advice. I have been told that copper is a difficult animal, and because this may or may not be true, Imma give it a go.

If anyone can enlighten me as to what the pitfalls of engraving copper are, I would welcome any opinions.

DaveatWeirs

I wouldn't say its difficult but it can be very annoying. Its almost as soft as silver but gummy as hell so if you're going from steel or brass to copper it's like going from carving wood to carving cold plasticine. The chips don't like to flick out as cleanly, it's easy to sink in it and it likes to leave a slight residue on your gravers (not as bad as brass does though). Also there's a noticeable difference between work hardened copped and annealed copper, get work hardened stuff if you can.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure if something like this is what you’re talking about. The round is done on copper and is almost exclusively lines. Didn’t finish it. It’s a Lee Griffith design I copied as I admire his work and wanted to figure out how he did it. The other I don’t know if it will show. Keeps saying file too big. It’s a renaissance pic of God calling down the flood waters on steel. All lines. Had trouble with the pine trees. I have it on my Facebook page and it’s available to anyone. I cut both with 70/80 degree line gravers. Very sharp and polished for the copper and to 1200 grit and slightly dubbed tip for the steel.

Attachments

• IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 60

Sponsors