Question: Background removal cleanup and consistent texture question

Hi everybody. I’m currently working on the lion pendant i designed with all help. I’m a little stumped on making a smooth and consistent stippled background. I cleaned everything up as best could with flat gravers and used background Texture punches for the initial texture and finished it off with a stippling tool to get the final texture. I’m not happy with how inconsistent it looks. im a bit stumped on what I should do differently to make the background more consistent and smooth.

heres a pic of the piece as it is now.

thanks for your help!
B0BC0740-77F3-4555-A532-90B7D002B318.jpeg

With a large area like that it's important to get it level and flat BEFORE texturing.
Making and using a scrapping tool would have been a big help in this area.
Nice looking stylized lion.
Thank you sir! I have never used or made a scrapping tool before. Ive seen instructions and a rough diagram in the FEGA how to book I will try making one and post the results here. can you describe how to use one properly?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you sir! I have never used or made a scrapping tool before. Ive seen instructions and a rough diagram in the FEGA how to book I will try making one and post the results here. can you describe how to use one properly?
I find it best to use it with two hands.
One hand pulling the cutter back towards me while the fingers of the other hand provide downward and steady pressure on the tool,
I suggest you make a small relief area on a practice plate first, to get the feel of it.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
John, do you have a close up view of the scraper angle?
Hi Ronald,
I make them with different angles for different applications
Take a good look at JBtheapprenice's tool in his picture and do something like that.
Then practice with the tool on a piece of scrap metal.
Most any angle will work, It's the angle you hold it and how you apply it to the surface.
Just use an angle that holds it's edge and works for your angle of attack.
Best of luck with your project.

Latest posts

Sponsors