Critique Request Backbone attempt

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
The metal texture kinda made this a little rough to draw on. Maybe I should hit it with some 600grit next time. But here it is so far. I'm slowly getting better(I think)

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Only my 5 cents worth first off flip 180 deg top to bottom as most floor plates are viewed barrel up also draw a boarded each scroll as it goes up the plate should be just a little small than the last then leave it for an hour come back and see if your still happy with it.
Ray

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
The camera is playing tricks with this pic the wide part is at the bottom.

You say draw a boarded each scroll. I'm a little confused on what you mean.

Andrew Biggs

The scrolls by themselves are not that bad.

However............Your placing of them is random and without form.

I come back to the most fundamental step of the layout process. That is the border with which they are contained within. The border is the key to the design otherwise it looks like the scrolls/design have just been plonked down randomly. It makes the design off balance. This causes it to look wrong no matter what you do.

Start by drawing a border on the floor plate. Then if you wish to have the spirals go from large to small draw a triangular shape (or any other shape) within that border to fill with scroll/leaves. This will dictate how the scrolls are laid out.

And yes.......you should have prepped the plate with stones or grit paper if it is a bit rough. This is part of the process. Treat everything like it is a paying job and has to be your best work. Engraving is not just drawing and cutting. It is also prepping and finishing.

Cheers
Andrew

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry I took it as a floor plate practise plate which are normally wider at the trigger guard end as for the boarded around the edge of the plate approx 1.5 to 2mm in but as Andrews is going to do a sketch I am sure he will show it more clearly

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very interesting to see the result, Andrew - thank you for your support