Assisitance needed with drawing

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Good day to all Ya good fellas and Ladies,
Please give me some advice on my latest drawing for a knife Bolster it would be highly appreciated. The one drawing is the pencil drawing and i then redraw with Micro soft Visio.

I thank everybody in advance.

Cheers

"VAN"

Attachments

• sss.JPG
    sss.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Dan Grubaugh

Van, I like the pencil drawing.....watch the thickness of the main stem, imo, it is a little thick, and also, the outside leaf that drops down into the "point" of the bolster looks to me like it is "backwords", should come of your scroll from the direction of flow. I am new to this too, but those are the obvious things that I can see. Dan

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Van, there is one very disturbing interruption in the ballance of your design. I would call this a focal point. It is the large leaf on the left of the spiral. It is too bold for the rest of the design. Keep your leaf mass consistant (you might have to make two leaves on that side of the spiral rather than just one.) As has been mentioned, the stem thickness is too bold also making the design a little bulky. The starting leaf design ( first major leaf in the design) has some elements that don't harmonize with the rest of the design. also, are you going to have a border around the work? If there is not going to be any backgrounding, you will have to make the design more intense with shading. If you intend to have a border around the bolster, the background areas and spaces need to be pretty uniform in mass throughout the design. You have a good rythum to your design except for the places I mentioned, your leaf mass is consistant except where I mentioned and Dan was correct in his evaluation about the leaf that is growing backwards. Hope this helps...............Ron S

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
hi Van i send you a quick draw, please, don't take it in a bad way, it's just my point of view so....
It's near midnight here i don't now what's time is it in your beautifull country see you next on the forum
Pierre

Attachments

• P1040495.JPG
    P1040495.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P1040494.JPG
    P1040494.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 105

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks

Mr.Ron; Dan and Piere,

I thank you all for the advice and believe me it is highly appreciated. Thanks for the drawing and explanation I will draw and practice till I get it right, I have ordered the two books on Scroll Design of MR. Ron and can not wait to lay my hands on it. I am sure it will help a lot as I have read so many good things about the books. I am currently working in Saudi Arabia and will have some savings to spend on an Engraving course soon.

I am a strong believer that if you put your mind to it a man will be able to over come all the obstacles he faces to get to his chosen destiny.

Cheers

"VAN"

Latest posts

Sponsors