Question: artwork help??

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I usually just draw scrolls out on the peice as I go but id like to start drawing it out on paper first, think I could do a better job. My question is how much bigger do yall draw it, before you reduce it down to size? Or what the ideal process? Thanks in advance. :pencil:

Andrew Biggs

Hi griff

I always draw as big as possible which is A4 size. That's letter size in Americanese :)

That way you have some space to work in and can actually make a fist of it. If you draw to small then you are hampered by area restrictions.

Make it big, make it bold and let the pencil flow!!!

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Generally speaking, I like to do my pencil sketching about 2 - 3 times the actual size. If you draw too big you tend to lose a sense of scale for the final piece and actually design in elements that would not "feel right" when you finally do the full size engraving. Start off with scribbles and refine them as you go along developing/building your layout. By doing this you will give yourself a certain flow to the design and the details will naturally develop.
At least that is how I do it and teach it. Hope that helps you out.
Marty

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dont give it any thought. Just start drawing and you will naturally scale it up.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I usually scan the outline into the computer and then print out pages with the outlines on them. I have outlines that are the same size for quick sketches of the flow (just the scroll backbones, etc.) and then when I go to the detail I have the larger outline (probably 3x of the original or so) with the "actual" size near by for reference. If I just draw big I tend to loose how small the actual project will be and can put too much detail in it. The actual size one helps me judge just how busy I'm getting.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the input, I drew out my scrolls out big (nothing fancy, keeping it simple). Im happy with the drawings, but when i reduce them back down to the size of my bridle bit I think the elements are to small to be seen from a horses mouth. I drew it, traced in black pen, scanned it in to corel draw, then used the trace bit map feature to make it a vector file so i could resize either way indefinitly> note to self I think no more than 2x actual size. I guess experience is what you git when you dont git what you want. lol Ps im gonna use it any way.......... but next time I'll do It different.

Attachments

• playboybit.jpg
    playboybit.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 202
  • playboy scrolls.jpg
    playboy scrolls.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 204

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good. I would change the rings that the reins go on. Maybe a teardrop.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
While were on the subject it occured to me someone may have a better way to do this than me. (i hope). The picture is a scan of the peice of silver with just the outline cut, what i do is engrave it to this point with a 120* graver (the cut is wider than my jewlers saw blade) I cut it out and solder it to the bit then after the bit is done I do all the shadeing etc..... is there a better way?

Attachments

• outlineplayboy.jpg
    outlineplayboy.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 194

Birddog97

I don't engrave the design first. I just print out my design on paper, trim off the excess paper, then glue the printed design to my sheet silver. I just use Elmers Stick Glue. I then cut out the design with my jewlers saw. After its cut out, I drop it in some ammonia to remove the glue and paper. Sand the back of the cut out silver design and apply flux and the solder (Hi Force 44 from Brownells) to the silver. Add a little more flux and some heat from my Little Torch and its permanatly on the steel. Then blue or brown the steel and add the engraved shading.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
done and done

well I finished it, not crazy about the engraving or the bunny but the customer paid so all is well and lesson learned thank you all for your inputs!!:thinking:

Attachments

• playboy done.jpg
    playboy done.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good. I like it. The silver turned out good. Is there a reason why it could not be heat blued?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors