argentium and sterling silver

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have both argentum silver, .940 and sterling silver, .925. My question is will there be a difference in appearance if both are used in the same project. When polished will one be brighter? Will one be darker than the other? Will they be indistinguishable?

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
As the material tarnishes it will darken at a different rate as there is a higher silver content in the argentium.

Using fine silver sheet for a project I figured that by making rivets from the sheet that there would be no color change, drawing a small piece through a draw plate, there is a noticeable difference in the material due to the work hardening of the rivet.

KIMG6244.JPG

pblack

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Argentium silver is an alloy containing germanium which makes the silver more tarnish resistant. It will age and patina differently than sterling. As a jeweler, I can also tell you that different mills alloy sterling silver differently and there is a variation in the color of the patina from that also. There is no standard recipe other than sterling must contain 92.5% silver.

Sponsors