Are these gravers?

NYCLinus

Hello,

Newbie beginner here with zero engraving experience but lots of interest.

I inherited a machinists chest full of tools that belonged to an in-laws uncle. He was a watchmaker, watch repairman, and engraver in central Pennsylvania from the 1920s-1960s.

Some of the tools look like they might be gravers or they might be specific to watch repair. Do you recognize them? Not looking to sell them, just to understand what I have.

I’ve built 25+ acoustic and electric guitars, some with a lot of abalone inlay that I cut and inlaid. I’d like to begin engraving mother of pearl to decorate guitars I build. IMG_7199.jpeg IMG_7200.jpeg IMG_7201.jpeg IMG_7197.jpeg IMG_7198.jpeg

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two on the right are beading tools. Roll along for a decorative edge. Rest may be gravers , pics, .. modified tools for particular jobs

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the top two fotos appear to have been rotary engraving machine cutters that have been modified. without detailed closeups, i couldn't say they would serve as manual gravers or not

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Two on the right are beading tools. Roll along for a decorative edge. Rest may be gravers , pics, .. modified tools for particular jobs
I agree on the beading tools. The other two in the bottom photos look like burnishers to me.

Latest posts

Sponsors