Apple Frieze

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I haven't been around the cafe for a while, but I've been keeping out of trouble.
Here's a limestone frieze I finished earlier this week, part of a fireplace. The carved panel measures 55" x 8-1/4" (about 140 x 21 cm).

Attachments

• Apple-800.jpg
    Apple-800.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 92-M-detail.jpg
    92-M-detail.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 239
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 221
  • apples-right.jpg
    apples-right.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 201

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
What a magnificent piece of work, thank you for sharing it, Gargoyle.
Your artwork is always a joy to the eye and this is especially so to mine.
And it also adds weight to my hypostasis that many classic designs including scrollwork and borders are evolved from ancient cave artwork or totem depicting food items in some way.
This was in another post about the origin of scrollwork.
It would be very interesting to hear your ideas added to it about the pre-historic origin of scroll if you have time.
Thanks again, best regards.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work as always! From pictures 3 and 4 it appears that you carve in detail as you go along rather than cutting the entire outline then going back for the background then detail like many engravers do. Could you expound on your process?

Thanks for your contributions here,

Roger

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Gargoyle, that is a lovely piece of work. It reminds me of some of the wood carvings I saw in the churches in Europe.

Thank you for sharing it. Les Holmes

Gargoyle

Roger, I did an 8 to 10 inch section at a time, and for this one I worked in from the two ends to the middle. Since it is naturalistic rather than stylized, that way I could design each section to flow from the previous section. I could have done a full drawing of the whole thing first, and gotten pretty much the same result; however, drawings are 2D, and with a deep relief like this in 3D, things change when I deal with the minimum structural strength of the stone for thin branches, and when spaces open up as I undercut behind the outer leaves, and when I see the actual effect of light and shadow on the forms.

It's also more fun this way, less a feel of "color by numbers" when the pattern isn't completely set. It's more of a feel that I have something new awaiting me, instead of having the next 80 hours of work already mapped out and decided, so I stay fresher while carving.
:)

BTW, as an adjunct to my website, I now have a facebook page for my sculpture. I can upload pix there in progress and as soon as things are finished, unlike the website where I have to plan out where they fit in context of the whole structure. I've been able to post a lot of stuff there that doesn't make it to my site. There is a photo of this finished fireplace on the first page.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I go from time to time up to Asheville, NC to the Biltmore Estate for two main reasons. The quartersawn oak that most all the woodwork is made from and the Italian cut stonework all over the place; seems I never tire of looking at it.

I have that same feeling about your work; you are most absolutely my hero.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man is that some deep relief!

I found that when I look at the progress pictures that it's easy for them to 'invert' (the raised areas look sunken) - at least on my little travel computer.

More and more people tempt me to get on Facebook enough to look around, but I spend too much time on the computer already (even when I'm not getting paid to be there).

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Gargoyle, Most impressive work! I've always had a love of the art of stone carving but have never ventured into the realm. I believe I'll leave that to you. I must ask , do you have a team of workers to help or is all the work done by yourself? I certainly hope your skills are being passed on to those that love the art.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Walter, that is absolutely masterful work. When I saw the first photo I gasped! There are many of us who are in awe of what you do, me being one of them. First you have such an incredible layout, followed by execution that seems impossible.

I was just telling Abigail and you and I have been communication for probably 10 years and have never met. One day I hope to shake your hand.

Gargoyle

I must ask, do you have a team of workers to help or is all the work done by yourself?
On occasion I have an apprentice, but normally I work alone. I do work closely with my stone suppliers to have pieces cut to size, and sometimes have the geometric moldings run for me (on large stone planers).

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! I am sure glad you post these amazing projects. Just the other day I was wondering what happened to the guy that carved the stone. Been awhile, glad your back, Seth

Gargoyle

Here's another work in progress shot. I thought some of you might like seeing the tools and workbench. It's a hydraulic lift table salvaged from an old print shop, 8000 lb capacity. Small hand held pneumatics and a mix of carbide tipped and tempered steel chisels.

Attachments

• carving_apples.jpg
    carving_apples.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 45