Any sites of interest near Yosemite

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll be in Yosemite and Kings Canyon areas in July. Are there any sites of interest to an engraver in the area?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Take photos of the landscapes so you can use them for inspiration when you get back home. Remember that engraved scenes don't exist by critters alone.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two of my favorite places on earth. Make sure you go up to Glacier Point, Clouds Rest and hike to the top of Yosemite Falls. I used to wear that place out when I was a rock climbing youngster. Take as many pics from as many different angles as you can think of and take a lot from off the beaten path vantage points. If you don't have a polarizing filter, get one and you can thank me later.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That was always the way I'd enter the park, going up 395, better scenery and a hike up Mt. Whitney and goofing off in Lone Pine then up to Tioga pass through Tuolumne meadows and down into the valley. First time I entered the valley I had Dan Fogelberg singing about a mountain pass at midnight going on the tape deck. That's right, tape deck; remember those?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Will be staying in Bass Lake, CA. Sure ill be able to find the park from there. Lol.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Hetch Hetchy reservoir was the twin of Yosemite Valley, before the dam was built. I hiked it awhile back when the water level was the lowest it had been since the dam was installed. Plenty of beautiful places around there.

Hey Tim, Dan Fogelberg's brother was my classmate at Northwestern Law School. Great pianist and rugby player.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Tim,

Hwy 395 is a good way to come into the east face of the Sierras, and Bodie is certainly worth a visit. I was quite astonished to look into the undertaker's on Bodie's main street... all the town is held in what is called 'arrested decay'. That is, keep the interiors with contents just as they were found, yet make the old building weather proof. Well, the undertakers had a lot of children's sized coffins, and I was thinking, my goodness, what was happening in the old mining days at that very high altitude town. It was not till several years later that I met an expert, who told me that only one stick of dynamite was allowed to bury an adult in the hard frozen winter ground, and 18 inches deep minimum was required. Could not achieve that with a regular sized adult coffin, so they did what was required to get the body into a child's coffin...

I put a new route up the east face of Mount Whitney, when I was young and stupid. Not much air above 14,000 feet, especially when you are on an overhang. Got onto the summit at 10 pm. Years later in Martin Strotz's masterclass, Todd Daniels was my neighbor, and Mount Whitney came up in the conversation. "Yep", said Todd, "Got up that hill twice, on the second ascent I ran up it". (!!). Todd is one fit dude, as well as a great jeweler.

Another time in Yosemite, my wife and I were bivouac-ed in the back country, and did all the right things to minimize bear attacks, like having our food sack free hanging up a big tree, and well away from us. No problem. Got back to my old car, to find a bear had bent the car door in two, climbed in, and wreaked havoc with the interior, going after anything edible. I should have kept those tuna cans as souvenirs, with their huge claw shape holes. However that bear must have been a music lover, my hand made guitar was left untouched on the back seat, without a scratch.

Have a great time, Beat!

Rod

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's one thing to live life in an exciting and interesting way. To be able to put it into words the way you always seem to do is quite another. You're a gifted man Rod and we are all gifted for knowing you.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for your goodhearted comment, Tim,

I read it as I was sitting down to play a few songs with dobro man, Pete Grant, who is here with me for a few days, so in your honor, we both played you a kitchen fireside recording of "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" and "Anna Marie". I am going to send an mp3 off to you soon. He is using his 8 string dobro, not his ten string.

It is rough and ready, but it is for you nonetheless!

I hope the "Beat man" is staying away from the bears?

Rod

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

The usual suspects at my coffee shop, who have to listen to me every morning, think of me more as a bit scatterbrained, and a windbag. They are probably right.

best

Rod

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anyone need a close up of a bear? I was picking raspberries and noticed I had company... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374891688.283106.jpg