Question: antiquing stainless

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Before I run out and get some coffee grounds let me ask. I know a gunsmith technique for antiquing guns ( carbon steel) with coffee grounds. Anyone know if this might work with stainless steel.

If you don't know this technique it goes like this .
1. Get a vat of wet coffee grounds ready. The size of the object your working with is fine
2. Heat metal object (not) red hot ,just hot enough for the pores to open.
3. Dig a hole in the wet coffee grounds, place object in , then cover the object.
4. Allow to cool .
5.uncover now the object should have an old worn look.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
coffee grounds

Jared,Where did you hear of this antiquing technique? never heard of using coffee grounds,not some thing I would use on a firearm.:confused: J.J.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Other than coffee grounds, there is liver of sulfur. That the only two I know. Well I do heat my buckles to get diff colors. Was wanting a different look to offer

Andrew Biggs

Damn.... that would be a great smelling gun and keep you awake at the same time :)

I doubt if it would work on stainless because stainless is, well, stainless.

But hey, give it a try. You never know your luck in the big city.

Cheers
Andrew

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
All it does is trap the coffee color in the metal pores as it cools. Just wanted to know if any one else had tried it before. I never had tried myself. I have seen stainless (stain) in the red mud we have around Mississippi too . So . And I think prob folgers lol

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jared
Being water soluble, I wouldn't use the coffee trick on metal. The "pores" don't open as much as a porous piece of bone or ivory which the trick works well on but there again will fade. The degree of fineness of the metal surface finish would also hold color vs. the "pores". Sulfur is good on some metals but not all and how you get the color desired can be a royal pain. As for stainless, don't work with the stuff enough to know about it, except that's the material that will stay bright and shiny without oxidation if that says anything, lol. Good luck in your endeavor.
Mark

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Think I may just stick to my method then. I with stainless I know that anything will rub off over time if its used any. But I burn a lot of my stuff to get various colors. Thanks guys. Guess this method is a dead end...

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Stainless Steel Blackener

Hello,
this works for me.

http://www.caswellplating.com/stainless-steel-blackener-gel-kit.html

Quick Overview
SKU: SSBGK

Easily spot blacken stainless steel. Simply apply the gel where you want the blackening to occur. The gel keeps the blackener in place. Leave it on the part for 1-3 minutes and rinse off. Seal with Caswell Sealer for a dry finish.

Stainless Steel Gel Kit Includes:

4 fl oz Stainless Steel Concentrate Gel (covers approx 2 sq ft)
4 fl oz Caswell Sealer
Disposable Vinyl Gloves

Contains Hazardous Goods. Shipping restrictions apply. Ground shipping only to the Continental USA. Please call +1 315 946 1213 or contact us for rates to other locations.

:tiphat:
Mark

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Checkwith Chris Malouf he has 1 or 2 ways of working with stainless. A 410 or 416 may stain but 300 s/s is that way to not be attacked by many chemicals.

Eric

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Jared,
No I can not say that it does. I do not know the what I have used it on! [exactly]
But I do degrease the stainless first, hope this helps. Give them a call, Caswell might know.
Mark

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Its not expensive. So I will order some just to have. Also will call to see what grades it works on. Thank you. I have looked high and low for something to blacken stainless.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Bob that is so fitting lol . Yes Chris wanders through this forum. I would say he has his nose to the grind stone. The Kraken just may flush him out.

Latest posts

Sponsors