Another way to make a textured Ti ring

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For this one I started with a strip of Ti, three times longer than needed for the fingersize. I used a ball bur to add some relief to it, after that hammered some texture with the En Set., and finally I used an onglette to add some cracks looking cuts.

Next I polished the rounded borders and bended the strip three revolutions and welded the two ends together. After forming the whole ring a bit more I welded it on the inside so it doesn’t deform any more.

I drilled a hole to add the setting for the ¼ carat stone.

arnaud

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, it's always so interesting to see what you come up with in titanium. Have you thought about coloring it and buffing off the high spots so that the deeper parts would also carry a color or two? Thanks for posting.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Tira, Yes I have thought about colouring already and I have a nice anodizer to do that. I too spend a lot of time to be able to predict the colours at different volts depending on the finishing of the Ti and sure I love the colouring. and cutting true it.
But in this case as most of the time, customers want me to make Ti jewellery that looks like Rhodium finished white gold, and I can make look the Ti as white as that.

arnaud

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What is the life of titanium?
I know it's one of, of not the cleanest metal in use. Maybe contending w platinum.
But are there circumstances (other than dropping the toaster in the dish sink) that would affect the color.
In other words, are there everyday annodizers that a Ti wearer might have to contend with?
Gwaai

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What is the life of titanium?
I know it's one of, of not the cleanest metal in use. Maybe contending w platinum.
But are there circumstances (other than dropping the toaster in the dish sink) that would affect the color.
In other words, are there everyday annodizers that a Ti wearer might have to contend with?
Gwaai

I don't understand your question, arnaud

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I mean.
Are there conditions that a person might encounter in their day to day that would anodize/ oxidize their Ti ring? Or will it stay white for its life?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know about lifetime, no one does. The use of Ti is less than a lifetime.
However, I have seen wedding ring I made 8 years ago and they look still as when I made them.

arnaud

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cool.
I'm going to give it a shot , soon as I clear my plate.
Thanks for showing some of your process

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Responding a little late but never the less, I like this model Arnaud.
Thank you for discribing the process, that high gloss polish how do you achieve that?
I noticed that polshing Ti isn't that easy, I used Dialux green and a felt wheel but its not quite a succes.

Latest posts

Sponsors