Another Watch Dial

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
This is dial is silver. I sculpted it and added the detail. The tricky part was that I made it from 16 gauge so it wouldn't warp while hammering. Then I had to put it on the lathe and cut it to a 0.5 mm thickness and hope I didn't go through anywhere. My measurement s indicated it should be alright but that isn't always a guarantee.

Last edited:

Jeroen

Chris, that bizon is gonna jump through that glass! So thin and yet so really sculpted! Thanks for sharing the picture and your tricks ;)

Jeroen

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Jeff,

Yes I haven't used any other tool for about a year and a half or more. Thanks Jeroen and Arnad. Some of the depth was done by hammering the metal so it raise higher than the surface but it's not much

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Some questions Chris. What was the material? Did you machine the 16ga after the bulino? How did you hold it in the lathe? What was the cutting tool, high speed? How did you control the heat?
Evey time I see your gorgeous work it reminds me of the Great Lie you told me when I took my first class from you at GRS "(I'M NOT AN ARTIST)". You really are a great artist!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love the execution but I could never have that watch myself - to me he looks like he's very disapproving of whatever it is you're doing.

Although....

Give it to someone just starting out and tell them that if they do good enough the buffalo will finally smile and you just never know what could result... ;)

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Thank You all. Glenn, The material is sterling silver. I started with 16 gauge and after i finished I super glued it to a round stock bar of brass the same diameter after i faced it off. I used my little sherline lathe so i don't know the speed but I took light cuts to keep the heat down . All the force is pushing it towards the piece it's glued to so they rarely com e loose. i do this with a lot of things that are hard to hole. even with steel it works great.

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors