Another try at English style

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
It's not as small as some of the traditional English I've seen, but if you saw my last attempt at this style I hope you agree this is much better. Thanks to the forum members for your advice. The backbone has a bit of a flat spot at the bottom, but other than that I think the violations are fairly minor.

Attachments

• English II 40.jpg
    English II 40.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 260

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Eric,Wow what a difference from your first attempt.I cut all the backbones of my scrolls while standing over the work,I find I have much better control and it eliminates flat spots,also works with H&C.Hope this is of some help for you.:thumbsup: J.J.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks nice. Try doing it much smaller. When you do this type of engraving and make it really small the real advantage of it become very apparent. It's really fast to cut and you don't have to really do anything to the background as the cut themselves create the illusion of depth and positive/negative space.

I'm by no means an expert...these are just my observations from what I've noticed when engraving.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While that looks OK to the eye Eric, it looks like you are not making the correct cuts for English scroll. Assuming your goal is English "small" scroll, there is not much shading nor is there background removal in "traditional" scroll.

While I am no expert, I did take a class from Marcus a few years ago. The cuts are very specific, and prior to cutting any backbones or scroll, Marcus had us making a series of cuts to yield sort of a "teardrop" shape. The cut begins narrow then deepens and widens to form the teardrop shape. The end of the cut is "popped" out and there is a distinct noise associated with that. It is also important to have the proper graver with a bit of flex to allow the "popping out" of the material.

Too bad GRS didn't market Marcus' "kit" as i'm sure it would be very good!

Latest posts

Sponsors