Critique Request Another Silver Leaf

Dragonsfire

Just finished up another Silver Leaf. Customer requested Maple Leafs, on this aspen leaf shaped knife. Okay.... Dug around out in the snow in my yard to try and find some decent leafs. I have 3 HUGE maples on my acreage. They don't seem to fair so well to this time of year. Oh well, out to the inter tubes we go. Guessing the blade is 440 SS, can't touch it with a graver. The sides cut like 416, nice! Was going for a little Japanese styled look, lots of negative space to draw the eye to leafs themselves. Not quite sure if I got it. This is going to be used as a keychain, so I'm not sure about putting a whole lot of detail into the leaf bodies. The background is relieved and stippled then colored with the Black Background Antique from Gesswein that Steve suggests. I hit it with a heat gun to "set' the color. Which brings me to the next question. The customer is a breast cancer survivor and a good friend. I want to put the pink ribbon on the back under her initials. Will the pink One Shot Lettering enamel stick to the 416 if I relieve the and stipple the Ribbon? Maybe some of the sign guys out there know the paint?

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_002j.jpg
    IMG_002j.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 213

alfrisillo

Simple but very elegant. I think that is always a winnning combination. Nicely done.
alf

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the 1 shot stuff wont last long. theres a ceramic like stuff called ceramit that might. when you need a design-- open google, look at the page top. on the left, you'll see "images". click on that. type in what you're looking for. you should see a truckload of useful images.

Andrew Biggs

Very nice

Why not releive and inlay copper. That looks pink when polished and will add some class to it as well as last forever....................... It's not that hard to do.

One shot will work but not that well.

Cheers
Andrew

Dragonsfire

Thanks everyone! Using the K.I.S.S. principle on this one. Thanks for the info on the One Shot. Inlay...hmmmm. Well, to tell you the truth, I just ordered a frame and blades last week. Should be here Tuesday or Wed. Hopefully I ordered saw blade sizes that will work. I measured the thickness of the copper sheeting, got a box full of scrap from a friend who covered all of there kitchen counters, range hood etc. with copper, then ordered the 1/0. This should give me 2 teeth on the material at all times. Also ordered the 4/0 and 8/0. I can get thinner sheets from work. Thanks again!