Another shading practice by me.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I completed the three shading practices already, I thought I do another one. On this one I was thinking for some time how to shade it.
I have a Damascus folder knife with wooden handles from Chris, so I want this one on the knife. So I had to find out first how to shade it.
I cut it on stainless steel using my En-Set which I like more and more.

Here is the design too, perhaps you have a better idea on the shading, and for me it wasn’t that easy but sure good practice.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This looks very nice Arnaud, the side shadow gives very much the idea of depth.
Also cutting the background lifts the scroll engraving.
Nice design too!!!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Willem, as far as I know Englisch the shadow is called "drop shadow" (slag schaduw). The background like you noticed needed some dark as well, I didn't add that much.

arnaud

Last edited:

bthomas

Arnaud, in the picture its looks like a viable alternative to full background removal to give customer a choice. The "drop shadow" is something I have not done and is an effective "extra" . In your deign the drop shadow I think really adds.

I am thinking perhaps this allows a single design to be offered to cutomers at differing price points to fit their budget or instead perhaps makes it viable to get a deeper cut appearance on thinner material items?

When I have lined out the background (w/o drop shadowing) I get some "pop" to the primary cuts but not as much as full background removal (furrows, background removed and then stippled). However neatly lined out is faster for me than the full removal/stipple treatment. I may expeirment with look I can get drop shadowing. thank you sharing

Bill

Bill

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bill for your comment. I'm also thinking other ways to add the drop shadow, perhaps dots instead of lines would look better. I will have to try that with the En-Set as it could be another advantage using the one hit at the time to ad dots for the drop shadow.
And yes I agree, it is all about budget, I always try to make it look at the best within customers budget. It doesn't happen that much that I have "carte blanche" on pricing.
In fact when thinking about it, the drop shadow can be done in a lot different ways, and I think mine I show here is not the best technique, so sure to be continued.

Bill, but feel free to give this design a try and show it please.

arnaud

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Have you tried working with different shadow lengths, Arnaud? When the sun is not straight overhead, tall trees or buildings will cast longer shadows than low trees or buildings. At the center of your engraving is a leaf that overlaps (lies higher than) the backbone, yet it casts a shorter shadow, and none on the backbone. Food for thought.

Karl Stubenvoll

Latest posts

Sponsors