Another bulino question

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod,
There's a few things to think of when engraving with dots.
First, to do a scene completely with dots is quite time consuming, it can take ten times as long as just lines, this will also reflect on the price.
Secondly, it is quite possible to produce lines with dots but cut lines are sharper.
I usually work with both lines and dots, i've shown an example with picture 1 & 2, picture 3 is the original painting which has been heavily 'Photoshop'd' to fit the plate.
By the way the scene is on the second 'Nelson' gun, this one is the Battle of the Nile.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
WOW Thanks I can see where you used dots and lines. Don't think I will ever be that good but I see where got different effects from each.
Rod

Andrew Biggs

That's coming along beautifully Phil.......just stunning.

It's interesting to note that most hand done bulino work is of a higher dpi than any printers available on the market!!

Cheers
Andrew

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew.
The dots in the sky are down to about 200 to the square mm. Of course it is possible to go much much finer than this but time X price then gets involved.

Phil

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

It amazes me that the gunmaker of the Nelson gun has you do such magnificant scenes on lockplates with 9 pin holes instead of using pinless locks like some of the top Italian makers do. Since you are working the scene from pre-existing art and can't design around the holes, do you let the holes fall where they may or adjust the scene in photoshop to keep critical themes from being obliterated by a hole?

Roger

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,
Peter made the first 'Nelson' without deciding what to do regarding the engraving. The second gun had to be simular to the first, so no pinless locks!
Having nine holes, including two big ones in the plates does restrict you quite considerably, the scene was extensively worked on in Photoshop, everything was moved around including the small boats. I'm taking pictures as I go along to show the process.

Phil

Dan Grubaugh

Not trying to hijack this thread, but Scott, is that a "Pearl Harbor Theme" on the knife that you did? Beautifully done whatever the theme! And Phil, your work is also amazing! Always look forward to seeing what new project you are working on! Thanks for sharing Scott and Phil! Dan

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Dan, that was Pearl Harbor theme knife done for the 50th Anniversary back in 91. It had a pink gold rising sun flag on the other side with a green gold Kate in the air above the Japanese carriers. It was one of my favorites. Unfortunatley those picture of the opposite side I have are pretty washed out and I have no idea where that knife is today

Latest posts

Sponsors