Anodizing some titanium: Geisha from Utamaro

Salvi

Engraving Practice trying to emulate the technique taught from this forum's member, Mr. Jean Santos.

- Ukiyo-e (浮世絵) Geisha from Japanese master Kitagawa Utamaro (喜多川 歌麿)
- Titanium plate
- Electrolytic coloring by anodization painting.
- Size: 4'7 x 2'5 milimeters

:graver:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice, very beautiful, since I am into titanium also and have a lot to learn I have a question.
How do you prepare your piece before colouring??? ( I mean cleaning)

Salvi

Hi Willem, for previous cleaning I use 96º Alcohol and recycled paper napkins.

Salvi

Very nice piece. Can you tell us how you achieved the color variation?

Hi James, color variations are achieved by applying specific electric charges to an electrolitic solution spread on the titanium plate. Masking is needed most of times as these colors are produced by an oxidative process on the titanium that tends to run along the adjacent working areas. It is certainly a laborious and tricky process but it's worth the final result. Pictures in fact are not allowed to reflect the iridiscense and luminiscense of these vivid colors produced by refraction of the light with the oxidized layers.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Salvi, congratulations for your nice job. I'm afraid you are hooked now with Ti ;)

Salvi

Hi Salvi, congratulations for your nice job. I'm afraid you are hooked now with Ti ;)

It is very kind of you, Jean. You taught me everything about this dangerous art of Ti anodization. :)

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You´re right Salvi, I visit Santos site several times and I will copy his style some day for practice (I had already planned it) his tutorial is a very valuable thing for those who are interested in colouring Ti, so thank you very much Santos and thank you Salvi for bringing this up again.