Help, please: Anodized Aluminum

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am working on a Ruger Blackhawks that has an anodized aluminum backstrap/trigger guard piece. I have engraved it and it looks OK with the silver of the aluminum poking through, but I would really like to make it black. Should I use rustoluem? Or should I do something different. The rest of the pistol will be blued.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black might do the trick. Sort of like bluing for aluminum.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Hi Beathard, I just received a bottle of Aluminium Black via one of Birchwood Casey's European distributors. Just used it to blacken a stippled alu background from a m/c engine cover where I'm working on (a practice piece). The result is not really matt black like I hoped. It depends on how I hold the piece against the light. Now I have more like a matt grey effect in the background. :thinking:Maybe I'll have to try a second layer to get it to deeper black, who knows? Succes with that gun:thumbsup: Greetings, Paulie

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's been a really long time since I have looked at the backstrap of a Ruger but I know the early ones were anodized. So were the floorplates of 77s and receivers of 10/22s. I do know the recent 10/22s and floorplates are actually painted or powder coated. You may just want to resort to a baking lacquer frmo Brownell and do the whole thing.

Latest posts

Sponsors