Help, please: Anneal, How to?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok im at my next crossroads in this wonderful world of engraving, annealing.

I have a buck 525. I was starting to engrave but its hard I mean surprisingly hard. Seems as hard as the Glock I was working on. I was told the buck 525 are not all going to be like this. So here comes the annealing. How is it done? Is there a how to somewhere a video? I do not own any equipment for this and would have to buy some (again!) but I do not want to avoid this I want to learn.

Can someone please help.

How to anneal with a propane torch?

thanks all

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Are the handles stainless? Stainless can be annealed but requires heating for long periods at a time. Also unless you take the knife apart any kind of annealing can weaken parts and melt bushings.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
advice a bit late-- don't even think of startup on such a piece before seeking info. if you've already done a bit of cutting, you may have "painted yourself in the corner". the knife must be taken apart, with annealing, final heat treating & re assembly, you're likely going to suffer from some sticker shock. i'd never attempt annealing/heat treating a blade. this is a task for those who do this professionally. the specific alloy involved may require times/temperatures that may be very difficult to achieve without the proper equipment.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
dlilazteca: Throw it away, because you will ruin the heat treat on the blade if you try to anneal the side plates or bolsters while it's assembled.Chalk it up to experience, or get some good micro grain carbide like C-Max, increase the face angle to at least 50 to 55 degrees and dub the point of the tool.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FWIW...
The Buck 525 is a popular knife to engrave BUT you must buy the one sold by GRS. They had them made with special "engraver friendly" scales. The factory models are too tough.

Latest posts

Sponsors