An excellent vriable speed 0-45,000 rpm handpiece at a good price

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many a workshop has been using the Dental Laboratory electric handpiece that accepts 3/32 shaft diameter burs with speed usually 0-20,000 rpm, not to be confused with, say, Fordom's battery operated pistol grip handpiece, at about $90, a waste of money, because of wobbly chucks and next to no torque.

Thirty years ago, the dental laboratory type handpieces could rarely be found under about $800, and even today, some units are around $1000. These expensive units are probably excellent in every way, however I want to recommend to the budget conscious engraver, who is building up desirable tools, some very good units at $250.

I have been working to death these units over the years in my flute making activities, as well as some engraving applications, and after many years of service, one of my three units started to make buzzing noises in its control box. By the way, I solved the buzzing sound, however I preemptively ordered a new one, from my favorite source, Stuart, at Pearson Dental. He recommended a newer design that went all the way from 0-45,000rpm, called:

MicroLab 450

Make sure you order this unit with its variable speed "foot control" as well as its hand dial speed control... these two control options are standard at the $250 price ... some handpiece units only have an on/off foot control, that does not vary the speed!

I now have it, cost $250, which I believe is the best price I can find, usually nearer to $290.

It works just great, sweet running, precision chuck (interchangeable) running very true with no vibration, good torque.

A tip from Coincutter/Steve alerted me to the fact that you can get the higher speed range 0-45,000, and interchangeable collet chucks, beautifully ground and accurate proper collet chucks that will allow you to work with 1/8, 3/32. or 1/16 shaft sizes. They work great. Better yet, you can get precision bush inserts that allow you to keep one size, say 1/8in size, and simple slip in the small, bushed insert. to reduce to 3/32 and 1/16 inch shaft sizes, for occasional back and forth use.

There are tons of 1/8 inch shaft burs in diamond and steel now available at low prices, and this handpiece can mount all the sizes.

I am certain the pricier units are excellent, yet these new less expensive models are certainly worth a try if your budget is tight.

I have no shares in Pearson, however salesperson, Stuart, is happy to deal with odd ducks like me, as well as proper dental professionals. So here is a link:

https://www.pearsondental.com/catal...44&dpt=0&mysort=&cat_link=&subcat_link=&mart=

Another link to Pearson's supplier of this unit showing the different chuck sizes, etc. They are friendly, give them a call:

http://www.ramprodinc.com/c-178-accessories.aspx

Rod

Attachments

• microlab.jpg
    microlab.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Rod. My daughter hogs my NSK all the time. Even disconnected my Ultra 850 from my compressor and hooked it to her Gravermach. Need to do something to reclaim my tools Thanks for the tip. Fred

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been looking for something like this, but the cost of some of them are beyond my budget. Thanks for posting this information.

Bill

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Definitely electric powered, Roger,

And very useful. In the dental lab trade, they are called 'low speed', to distinguish from the air turbine driven 330,000 rpm 1/16 shaft burs, known as Friction Grip, now used by many for background relief. I have worked for years with the equivalent of low speed high torque air powered, and of course Foredom flex drive units. As many of us know, the Foredom handpiece has that comet's tail feel, always being aware of the weight and stiffness of the flex drive, whereas these dental lab handpieces have good torque, and the greater freedom of a supple, simple electric wire supplying its power. I moved over to these about 15 years ago.

Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this Rod. I used a Korean made micromotor when I was in Taipei earlier this year, and it could be the same one because this looks familiar. I sent an email to find out if it is. I just remember that the one I used was quite a nice unit and was beautifully smooth with a precision feel. The price certainly is right!

Latest posts

Sponsors