An Engraving Mystery...

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like two different engravers at different times might have worked on this rifle. The styles on the breechblock and trigger guard may have been added after the primary engraving on the frame with an attempt (unsuccessful) to match. Can't see the dove, so no comment on which style it might be. Made for an interesting interpretation though.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like this quote from the article: "No artisan sits down with their tools, prepared to spend hours plying their trade, without a clear idea of what they are going to create. They don't simply start drawing lines willy-nilly and see what happens to take shape. No, their choices are equally deliberate, especially when considering the limited canvas size with which they are working."

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's quite the story and quite the researching job done by the author. I'm more inclined to look at a gun, see the engraving, and either like it or not. Not look into the deep meanings the engraver might have had in his mind!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm sort of like ed, either i like it, or maybe not. i once attended the pittsburgh arts festival years ago. there was a huge pile of cullet glass spread on a sizable canvas on the ground. a sign was there asking, " what do you think the artist had on his mind while making this ?"
well, what i told the person attending the display can't be put on the forum. sam would ban me for life !

Latest posts

Sponsors