am i ok doing this ?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when i used to send fotos to the archive, i saved every image to have a copy if it was needed to be sent up again.
i no longer do the uploads but when i see a foto that fascinates me, i copy it to study- maybe learn from.
a recent post by bran ramon has me asking--- does anybody object to my doing this ? if there are objections, i'll discontinue the practice.
bram mentioned outright copycat work. my interest is simply to look, enjoy & learn, not copy anything.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We all do it don't we? Inspiration is just that, not plagiarism. I doubt I'll ever cut anything worthy of someone saving on their computer but it would never bother me if they did.

mrthe

Monk ,i do the same, i have a folder in my mac called,engravings study where i put all the photos of works that are interesting.
Not for copy ,but flr "Study" it .
I think that the 99.99 % of all the folks in the forum have this folder in his desktop hehe.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Monk

It's no different from having a photo in a book. It is for your pleasure to look at as well as being part of your reference library.

But if you download and save any of my pictures.............they are $1000000000000000000000000000000000 each :)

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Damn, I'm gona owe Andrew two or three lifetimes worth of income - at least.

I have folders categorized by the engraver, the type of work, the type of scroll or total lack of scroll, lettering, and I dunno what all else...

I copy from none of them, learn from all. I go to them mostly when I am having a "creative block". Stimulates ideas. Exactly like the books do. Or castings.

You'd be amazed at what you learn from teaching just a basic engraving class. Simply because of all the totally different ways that people view essentially the same result.

And how THEY would go about accomplishing it - left to their own devices... you constantly wonder why YOU didn't see that!

Brian

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I can assure you if it has Bulino I save the picture...I am still in awe of the skill and talent that goes into all the work on this site.

Donny

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
I have so many saved, it has slowed down my computer. I love looking at the engraving of others and hope to be as good someday. I am going to my first class in May in Kansas.....Hope to see more good work soon.

monk

Staff member
i feel better reading the above. thanks to all. hey andrew, i'm cutting you a check right now, am sending it "postage due".! i forgot to sign the dang thing, though.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're fine, monkster. Where problems arise is when people put other's pics on websites or do something else of that nature. As long as they reside on your computer for your own personal use I don't think you're in violation of anything :)

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
If you check attachments it will tell you how many times one of your photos has been downloaded (doesn't work with photobucket, etc., photos). Most of mine are under or a little above 100 downloads but one has been downloaded some 970 times. I don't know about others but the few photos I post are for the express hope of inspiring other engravers, especially beginners.

Hey Monk, just email the check to Andrew!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do the same thing. I especially like looking at how people shade various leaf structures. I know there's nothing that I'm doing that's earth-shattering...but I'm always trying to learn how to make my work better.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I for one do the same I have saved so many photos that I had to buy a 3tb external drive and I will hold my hand up I have cut others work on practise plates and also used someones design rehashed a bit for one or two of those brass magnifiers that I have posted buy must say that before posting I have sent the images to the person and asked if they object SHAWN aka didyoung he was most kind in saying that it was fine and liked what I did but I must point out that the work was not sold done but for my pleasure and to learn from
Were I do draw the line is to copy someones work and sell it as your own or to copy and place the work on for example the same brand knife or firearm and sell that as your work this would be the mark of a true bottom feeder as someone said.
Must go have to download some more photos need to fill the drive some the boss will let me have another :biggrin:
Ray

monk

Staff member
sam, i've actually copied someone elses work, yours. some time ago i copied a scroll design you posted for all to give it a try. i did all the heavy cuts, but unable to do the fine cuts for now. will post if i can dig it up.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Monk, I look forward to seeing what you have done. I believe I know the design you mention, the shape shifting scroll? And it was the first of those photos that was downloaded so many time. Regards

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I haven't made a thing that wasn't copied from somebody else's idea. Sorry but I am no inventor and I am not a Studio Artist so I came from somewhere. Seriously though if I have something that I won't allow to be copied then I won't bring attention to it.

Latest posts

Sponsors