Announcement: Alternative gun oil

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alternative gun oil & bore cleaner

Ok Ive been searching the net for an alternative gun oil there are several that keep popping up on different forums the one I continued to research was mobile 1 full synthetic 5w-30.

What finally convinced me was when it was compared to other gun oils in a heat test. I cannot take credit for the video but see for yourself.

http://youtu.be/qQYAMTQAOoM

http://youtu.be/D6KDOGXOloQ

http://youtu.be/TSG5EriEmXg

And here is one for alternative bore cleaner that was mentioned earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfaCCJjBEU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, if you want a never fail top end gun oil try MILTEC made by Adaptive Molecular Technologies Inc. You don't need much so don't by a quart, very very protective.

scott99

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Search for Reds Bore Cleaner, a homemade gun bore cleaner oil that we have used for years.

I did see reds, the only reason I did not go that route I'd because I did not want to mix anything. It has great reviews.

---------------------------------------

I'm sure there are other great products, but the synthetic oil is easier to come by and it's only 7 bucks for a quart!

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did see reds, the only reason I did not go that route is because I did not want to mix anything. Reds has great reviews.

---------------------------------------

I'm sure there are other great products, but the synthetic oil is easier to come by and it's only 7 bucks for a quart!

Carlos De La O III

Carlos De La O III

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Several years ago Gun Test magazine did a test for lubricity. I don't think it concerned itself with rust protection. In any event they tested several gun oils, WD-40 and some other oils. They tested under very cold conditions as well as very hot conditions.

The number one oil for lubricity under both cold and hot conditions was Wolf's Head #30 weight oil. Number two was 3 in 1 oil. WD-40 failed miserably as I recall.

I take issue with this fellows heat test. Personally I have never seen a hunting weapon reach over 250 degrees. Now, I can recall a couple of times in a far off land where our M-60 machine gun's barrel was slightly aglow, and I do recall where an M-16 would raise a terrible blister if you grabbed the barrel after pushing a dozen magazines of 5.56 ammo through it rather quickly, but I have NEVER seen a hunting firearm ever reach a temperature of some 250 to 300 degrees. So in effect this fellows test was useless.

Of course, that is just my own personal experience and opinion. I have to wonder if anyone else on this board has ever had their firearm reach such excessive temperatures?

As for rust protection this fellow should have looked up Ezzox. Now there's a rust protective agent!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well if it can stand up to 250 degrees it should work even better at lower temperatures, but just in case the zombies show up I know my carbine will hold up to the temperatures. MTC (Dave you like that)

I don't think the point here is that all guns will be run of those temperatures it just shows that regardless temperatures m1 oil has been proven to hold better than store bought gun oils, that is all, its being used by many to oil their guns.

And if I'm spending 1200 bucks on a firearm I want an oil that will not break down.

My only issue with magazines is that they have sponsors.

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos,
What is it that you want the oil to do? If you want it for functional lubrication then go with one the top shelf gun oils. If you want to keep it from rusting between prepping and engraving then soak it in WD 40 and wrap each piece in cling wrap. It won't rust or build a patina while wrapped up like this. I have been doing this with guns that are waiting to be be blued. I do this for those that are being engraved also. Remember the WD-40 stands for water displacing formula 40. That is the key to keep rust from forming. Humidity is a killer.
Sandy

Latest posts

Sponsors