Aged steel

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How badly aged do you want?You could use ferric chloride and etch the surface a bit and then plum brown it. What is "it" anyway? That might help with a better answer.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Jim: If It's Non Stainless , Just Coat It With Yellow Mustard. Let It Sit For A Couple Hours Then Wash It Off. This Was In Blade Magazine, Contributed By One Of Their Technical Editors Wayne Goddard, He's From Oregon.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In that case try half and half water and apple cider vinegar. Warm it up and wipe it on. make sure to rinse it good after you get the effect you want and give it a coat of good oil so it will stop it from totally rusting away!!!!

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Okay, I'll admit I'm dumb. How do you "French gray". I've heard of it a lot and seen guns with the finish, but have no idea how to do it.
Thanks Silverchip, I may try that, but first I'd like to hear how to french gray.

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
Well I was going to suggest a mild acid.Or you could boil it in clorox.That will give a pitted look.OOOR.you could put into a charred oak casket and let it age a couple months.No wait thats wine,my bad.:)

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
French Grey
Acid based toilet cleaner i.e. Mild hydrochloric acid this will remove any bluing or color case colors. Mr John B uses a automobile product 3 m I think try the search function. French grey is raw untreated metal and must be treated as such, keep it oiled, rig, wax etc

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
on some junk steel, try a bit of birchwood-casey. tamp it on with a sponge for a variegated look.

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Monk. The mustard didn't work for me. The apple cider vinegar and water did, thanks Silverchip. I'll try the birchwood-casey next time I need that type of finish.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the birchwood is also great for antiquing copper. i'm thinkin it may work on brass, but haven't tried that yet.

Latest posts

Sponsors