Advanced drawing of scrolls by Ron Smith

Michael W

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a copy of the Ron smith book Advanced drawing of scrolls.
Or any information if there's going to be a second edition or something coming out soon. It seems to have gone off the market recently.

I spotted that there is a thread of someone looking for the same thing. I just didn't want to intrude on their post so I made my own.

I'm not too fussed about condition as long as it's legible.

Thanks everyone

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe try this link, it's in the UK... looks like a possibilty? Asking 75.60 pounds plus tax and shipping (ship dates 7/23 - 7/31/23), I just didn't want to accept the cookies to go any further to investigate.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's one of those precious books noone wants to part with! It is so well written, worth rereading over and over again! Much of Ron's wisdom is sprinkled throughout the book! I had the privilege of talking to Ron Smith in person a few years back at the FEGA Convention in Las Vegas. I was struck by his kind disposition, thoughtfulness, humility, and generous sharing of information! Ron is by all definitions, a gentleman of the highest order!

Last edited:

Michael W

Maybe try this link, it's in the UK... looks like a possibilty? Asking 75.60 pounds plus tax and shipping (ship dates 7/23 - 7/31/23), I just didn't want to accept the cookies to go any further to investigate.
If it's the one I'm thinking of:
I've talked to a relative I have in the UK and they're doing what they can to try and get a copy. It might be on backorder though.

Michael W

It's one of those precious books noone wants to part with! It is so well written, worth rereading over and over again! Much of Ron's wisdom is sprinkled throughout the book! I had the privilege of talking to Ron Smith in person a few years back at the FEGA Convention in Las Vegas. I was struck by his kind disposition, thoughtfulness, humility, and generous sharing of information! Ron is by all definitions, a gentleman of the highest order!

I'm hoping to go to the FEGA show this coming January should the money come avaliable. It sounds like a blast.

BBChapnick

Good luck finding a copy, these have been sold out for a while which is truly unfortunate. I have heard from some suppliers there is "talk" of a reprinting in the works soon. That being said, I have not received any sure words this will 100% come to fruition; though I sure hope it does.
Can anyone here confirm this talk of reprinting directly from Ron?

Anyhow considering the high demand for this book it's quite a shame it's so hard to aquire. Seeing the boon of renewed interest in hand engraving & anthacus/scrollwork artistry recently. It's really is a damn shame this resource has been entirely inaccessible for some time now. Even a paid for PDF digital version for purchase & download (Like Sam Alfano provides for his videos) would alleviate the high cost and complexity of publishing and printing thus making it more accessible. Though I do prefer a nice physical book, I just hope Ron is indeed in the process of reprinting.

It's amongst the best books to have if your interested in getting into traditional scroll design; unfortunately right now it's unobtanium. It is unfortunate that the few quality engraving resources like this are rare right now. Seems that is just the status quo in the niche world of engraving.

For the time being I'd recommend you pick up Marcus Hunt's set of "English Fine Scroll" book and DVD. It is yet another incredible very hard to fine resource (for traditional British scrollwork design) that is rarely available and only in very limited quantity every few years or so.....and your in luck because it's up for pre-order right now! If you mosey on over to the classifieds forum right now you will find the post and the right link for preordering.

Latest posts

Sponsors