Question: A5 engraving

Jim P

Can anyone help identify the engraving on this shotgun? Has anyone ever seen anything that seems to mathch it? Any information would be a big help. Its really deep and according to the s/n the gun came from the factory with the standard engraving and the material isnt thick enough for it to have been ground off and still be thick enough to be engraved this deep and according to the factory records such as they are it left a standard grade gun. Any ideas?
I hope the pictures attached to this post!First time I have posted pics.
Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• a5 engraving 1.jpg
    a5 engraving 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 185
  • a5 engraving 2.jpg
    a5 engraving 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 186
  • a5 engraving 3.jpg
    a5 engraving 3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 186

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never saw an engraving like this. In my opinion and although it looks nice, it is like you said; "a factory standard engraving" with no particular signature of the engraver.

arnaud

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
JimP,Your Browning A5 was done by a Japanese engraver,they did there inlays in silver. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is my answer to a different person about the same gun on the FEGA forum:

Dave,

We see lots of these Japanese engraved GI guns here. Extensive use of silver inlay on an otherwise field grade gun is the first clue. The Japanese engravers have a distinctive way of cutting German style scrollwork which is the main determinant in identifying their work. These guns were usually purchased through the PX/BX in Japan and taken to a Japanese engraver for embellishment. This was also a common practice in occupied Germany as well but the German engraving shows greater finesse and refinement. These post war engraved field grade guns are sometimes referred to as "cigarette guns" because in the desperate days after the war the craftsmen would trade their work for cigarettes that were purchased cheaply at the BX by GIs.

Regards,
Roger

Jim P

Thanks for the reply. I saw your post at FEGA just now. Thought it looked German but had no idea that it was done in Japan

Jim P

Question that I can't answer is if it came from the factory originally with the standard browning engraving on the sides of the receiver how did the engraver get rid of it? That metal isn't thick enough to grind it off then cut it as deep as it looks like its cut? Did the maybe fill it with weld some how?
Japanese magic engraving puddy?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
JimP,Not all Browning A5 were engraved I found one at a gun show with no factory engraving,Im engraving one now with dogs pointing,grouse,pheasants,Canada geese and dogs chasing a wild boar, no scrolls J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors