A very big scroll and a very small scroll.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Whirlpool Galaxy is a classic spiral galaxy. At only 30 million light years distant and fully 60,0000 light years across, M51, also known as NGC 5194, is one of the brightest and most picturesque galaxies on the sky.

Sam's is about 2mm.

A little size difference to say the least.

Attachments

• pinheads.jpg
    pinheads.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 302
  • hs-2005-12-a-800_wallpaper.jpg
    hs-2005-12-a-800_wallpaper.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
If you consider the size of the universe they are close to a perfect match in size, merely a few thousand light years in difference. You need to keep these things in perspective if you insist on making judgment calls. ;)

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
On the whirlpool galaxy it isn't clear if it is spiraling into the center or out from the center. Also, some of the spines (particularly upper left and upper right) are a bit lumpy and awkward, you need to refine them. In the lower right the spine breaks and resumes, it should be a continuous flow.

Hope you don't mind the critique, you're definitely off to an interesting start but you need to work on it.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I think the intent was to appear it was spiraling away from the viewer. I can't speak for the creator but I think it appears exactly as intended, once again I think it's a matter of perspective, it could have been created to please someone in a different part of the universe. I don't believe Mr. Cirelli intends to take credit for the creation of this particular galaxy, however I will leave that for him to say.

Bob

mrthe

Wow very nice thank you for show!
Sam the engraved pinheads are incredibles!
Can i ask how little is the graver point that you have used for it?
I have try to engrave very little scrolls in my nickels and is very hard to do, i don't know if i need a very fine point graver or what, any tip?

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gargoyle; I don't think I have guts enough to critique the creator of the large scroll:bow:It looks perfect to me. I wonder how many of Sam's would fit inside the whirlpool galaxy:shock:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Whirpool galaxy is abit doglegged, maybe it was the creators first & we all have to start somewhere.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
pinhead-sm.jpg

Here's a higher res photo shot through my scope.

I tell people it's a pinhead engraved by a pinhead :D

mrthe: Normal size graver with a very short heel.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i tried it. i was "going to be like sam". somehow it didn't work. total failure on my part. i still must bow & scrape before the landlord, the maestro of all things tiny!! maybe i have too much hair ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
i tried it. i was "going to be like sam". somehow it didn't work. total failure on my part. i still must bow & scrape before the landlord, the maestro of all things tiny!! maybe i have too much hair ?

Could be, monkster :cool:

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
The dogleg in the galaxy spiral is just a bit of gravitational jostling by the other galaxy to the right. Assuming the galaxy is 75,000 light years across (a guess), 3.5 times ten to the 22nd power would be the number of pinheads Sam would have to engrave to lay edge to edge. A trillion is ten to the 12th power. Get busy, Sam!

Latest posts

Sponsors