A question of length?

Twinck

I was doing some sharpening today (preparation for practice) and was wondering how long people need to have their gravers?

I use a gravermach AT with 901 hand piece, and find that for the graver to "feel right" I need to take 20ish mm off the end of blanks to be usable.. This means that using the Lindsay templates I don't have very much holding on and means I won't be able to re-sharpen too much...

Just wondering if this is surly normal.. I do have fairly shortish fingers, so this may have something to do with it..

Tom

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Lyndsay has some quick change extensions that give an extra 5/8" (whatever that is) :thinking:
Besides, i generally find i the gravers last alot longer lengthwise with templates than benchgrinding.

I don`t know if these are compatible with a gravermach, i guess someone will have an answer/solution.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tom

There's no rights or wrongs with it. Whatever length suits you and is comfortable to work with.

However, there can be advantages to having longer gravers. If you have a bit of length it gives the graver a bit of springiness so when you come to the end of a cut and load your graver upwards it helps pop the chip.

Like anything, it's personal preference

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you can shove the graver shank in some 3/32" , square brass tubing, it can then be done with a lindsay system. or, do like i do-- get a half truckload of gravers to cover all your situations.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tom

Liking your gravers so short............why do you stick with the Lindsay templates?

It sounds like the Dual Angle sharpener could maybe suit your particular needs better by being able to sharpen your gravers till they are just little stubs.

Just a thought as it seems a shame to waste so much graver.

Cheers
Andrew

Twinck

Andrew, I've only had the Lindsay template for the 116* since January, wanted to see how it goes.. I do have access to a dual angle fixture, (my wife's bosses) but it has a lot of slop in it, and I really need to get one of my own ;-)

I can hand sharpen, but like the consistency the templates give me.. Having exactly the same profile is fairly important in my opinion..

I was more interested in whether other people used short/ish graves or kept them "as bought" and learnt to live with the length .. I personally find it harder to control, though this may just be part of the learning experience.. :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In my opinion, graver length becomes more of a consideration when using Airtact as longer or shorter gravers affect how you grip the handpiece. I was never aware of this until I started using the Airtact system. For me, slightly past the thumb is a comfortable length.

I see no benefit in hand sharpening. A sharpening fixture is far more accurate, be it a template system or fixture.

I smile when I see comments that tool post sharpening fixtures have slop in them. Consistent accuracy is easily achieved with a sharpening fixture so don't think the small amount of play will have a negative on your sharpening. I use them every day and my gravers are sharpened to perfection. I do wish they were more flat graver friendly, though.

Twinck

Thanks Sam, interesting to hear others experience, especially with the AT..
(I'll add that my fingers are a little shorter than average.. This doesn't help the situation)

But this sharpening fixture is definitely on its last legs.. It doesn't hold a consistent angle on any axis.. They only use it for the occasional graver, and only for bright cutting around settings.. ;-)

In the future I will get the shorter QC adapter for the airtact.. But have to budget these things out.. And not high on the list at the moment :)

Tom

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
modified dual angle fixture

Picture 99.jpg Picture 98.jpg Hi Sam
I modified my dual angle fixture to make sharpening flats easier and more consistant.I removed the jaws and then using a jewelers saw and needle files cut a slot at the base of the jaws. this lets the graver rest on the sides for a square graver and you can insert the whole body of flat gravers so . Photos attached

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's interesting, Dave! I should try that. It seems like alignment would be much easier and better.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Sam
The alignment is much better and easier to index.Also the square gravers are held better on the flat sides and not on the sharp corner.

Last edited:

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I just put the flats in turning the tip 45 degrees so the flat top of the engraver mates with the flat plane of the fixture and it work fine. Just compensate for the 45 degree difference.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like short gravers. All my non air tools I still keep short, for control. Have been enjoying long tips, since venturing into the world of air powered tho.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the little QC adapter in my Dual Angle sharpener. Just make sure your flat is in the QC holder so it comes out square - I had to turn and 'fix' a few of my gravers when I first started using the adapter.

Here is the adapter. There are a couple of ways you can get it to set in the jaws. The right one is with the 'tooth' up - from the back it looks like a little house.

Latest posts

Sponsors