A huge collection of all things Art Deco

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would agree with you, Les,

In fact that splendid staircase took my interest elsewhere. Searching Google Images for more information led to the Art Deco collection, where indeed it is misplaced. Too early for Art Deco, just about right for Art Nouveau, but maybe France would call it part of the French "Beaux Arts" style, as that was the intention of the Petit Palais architect of the building, as a whole.

I used to exhibit my flutes every year at "Musicora", held in the nearby Grand Palais. It was a show that included all acoustical instruments ... no electric... Attendance was huge, sometimes thirty thousand would visit. Parisians do support their cultural events! Had I known of the 'Staircase' at the nearby Petite Palais, I would have certainly found time to visit. I will, on my next visit to Paris. What an inspiring design for the engraver.

I found this note: "Wrought iron work used on the Petit Palais" :

The main entrance gate, designed by Girault himself, was immediately praised for its elegance and the virtuosity of its craftsmanship. He also created the banisters for the staircases in rotundas and the garlands and swags of wrought iron decorating the peristyle and balconies.

Rod

Attachments

• ZIMG_J406.jpg
    ZIMG_J406.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors