Scrimshaw: a fun little video, and how it was done!

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Everyone! Long time no post... I know, I know... :eek:

For a very long time, I had this notion that it would be rather fun to shoot a little time-lapse video of me doing scrimshaw, but I never could come up with a great way to shoot it. Tripod? No, camera was too far away and in my way. Through an eyepiece? No, that makes it pretty hard to see what I'm doing. Duct tape? Eh, kind of messy.

And then in one of those glorious "ah ha!" moments, the answer was absurdly obvious. All I had to do was wrap the wrist strap around the ring light, like so:

And for your entertainment, here's some scrimshaw, sped up just a wee bit. ;)

Hmm, okay, I can't figure out how to embed the video, but here's a link to the blog: http://blog.katherineplumer.com/2012/02/scrimshaw-video.html

Enjoy!

-Katherine

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
viteo

Katherine,Your video is so well done it should go into iGraver Tutorials and Tips Archives.:thumbsup:and a very Happy Birthday to you.:clapping:J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I enjoyed that Katherine! It's nice to be able to see you work and it gives us a little glimpse of how you go about your beautiful scrimshaw. My only nit is that I couldn't watch it on my iPad because it's flash. I hope you'll upload it to YouTube at some point :)

And I like your clever camera mount!

So what determines whether you choose a handpiece or pin vise for the area you're working on?