Help, please: 1st graver for touch up gun work

pietasvenatores

Hi all,

sorry if I get the forum thread placement all wrong, my first post here.

I am looking to get into engraving guns, small simple stuff.

However, initially, I have to touch up and re-engrave some worn out mauser receiver crests before bluing and filling in with white enamel.

would anyone be able to point me towards a really simple and cheap graver that will suffice for that, if you need to get an idea of what I need to touch up, you can google: mauser FN crest or look here - http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...31&start=14&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:125

thanks for any help you can offer.

PV - from the UK:biggrin:

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,

sorry if I get the forum thread placement all wrong, my first post here.

I am looking to get into engraving guns, small simple stuff.

However, initially, I have to touch up and re-engrave some worn out mauser receiver crests before bluing and filling in with white enamel.

would anyone be able to point me towards a really simple and cheap graver that will suffice for that, if you need to get an idea of what I need to touch up, you can google: mauser FN crest or look here - http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...31&start=14&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:125

thanks for any help you can offer.

PV - from the UK:biggrin:

Hi PV,
I'm not trying to be flippant, but would you hire an engraver who had never engraved at all... to work on your gun?
If the gun is of no value then it's a moot point and I'm sure would be good practice. But...
If you take this on yourself without training or experience you are hiring an engraver (yourself) who has never engraved at all.
I'd think long and hard about that.
Cliff

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Buying a graver or chisel and then trying to use it on a gun is not advisable. Engraving takes time and dedication to learn. You should practice this crest on a steel practice plate until you can engrave it perfectly before attempting to recut one on the gun. And when you do the recut on a round surface, expect some differences in tool behavior. It's not the same a cutting a flat article. Not a big deal for an experienced engraver, but for a newbie it can be quite a challenge.

pietasvenatores

thanks for your advice guys...ok, will try to learn to walk before running, and get some gravers and practice items first, outsource this work to a pro before ruining it.

thanks for setting me straight ;-)

Latest posts

Sponsors