1972 engraving of motorcycle

benhak

I was wondering if anyone out there can identify whose work this is. It is from 1972, and possibly from the New Jersey area originally. Initials can be seen in one photo. Thanks, Ben
I added a few more pictures. Thanks you everyone for your posts.
Ben

Attachments

• engraving2.jpg
    engraving2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 332
  • engraving5.jpg
    engraving5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
There was a guy named Jerrod that did the guns for ruger and his son (herb?)did motorcycle engraving. Looks like what he used to do. He did the engraving for sumax in the 80's www.sumax.com maybe they can help.

Last edited:

benhak

It's look like the work of Mr Rudy Pena from California.

Yvan.
Do you know any contact information for Rudy Pena? I looked up some of his work and I agree it is very similar.
thanks

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
It's definatly One of Arlen Ness Frames & the paint was done by Horst....
Pena sounds about right, but there was an old man up in that area that did a lot of MC engraving....but his name escapes me right now......(Those rocker boxes are a joke.....whoever did em.... :) :)"\)

In the late 70s the guy was sellin info on redoing names in guns by acid method......
Does that ring a bell with anyone....??

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that you mention it CJ it does look like they were blasted after engraving. They look very fresh as well. Interesting. How you been?- Fred

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
CJ,
I think the man you are talking about is Ed Pranger.
Ed engraved motorcycles among other things.
It wasn't acid etching, Ed hated acid.
He published a book, and I have a copy around here hiding from me about etching using lead shot and salt water. And it worked well, too.
There are pictures of Ed's work, bike and car parts and other thing in the Ray Phillips book "How to engrave the NgraveR way."
Ed was also known as "Herman the German." Very nice gentleman.
Best.

benhak

CJ,
Thank you for the information. The engraving on the rocker box does look different than the rest of the bike. Do you know the full name for Horst? I have also been trying to figure out who did the gold leaf. The initials of JMP are on the gold leaf. Also, do you know any contact info for Rudy Pena? I am heading up to san francisco in a couple of weeks and would love to meet him.
Thanks,
Ben

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Yup.....That's Him John..... :)
Thanks ....I couldn't remember his name, and I too, have his book somewhere around here.. :) Been a while, & I've slept since then.....
Ed was a great guy, and very helpful to a guy just startin out.......
He did a large number of Arlen bikes, but i'm sure the one shown here isn't one of them......

So How ya doin John...?? Great, I Hope...... :)

57rik

It Looks Like Manny Gonzalez's Work. He Is From California.
Howdy....I just stumbled onto this site. Didn’t know it existed. Being a few years past this post, not sure if questions on the bike were answered. Anyway, the bike was indeed from the NJ/NY area. I don’t remember the owners name, but I met him at a NY City bike show at the Coliseum around 1985 or so. The main engraving was done by Rudy Pena, but I did the top tree on the front end to match Rudy’s work. Owner was in a time frame pinch. And yes, the aluminum was acid etched according to him. Told me it would turn into a “Fizzie” if left in the acid too long! I chucked all my old paperwork a few years back, so knowing the owners name at this point would be a miracle. Where did these pictures surface from? Thanks for the memories!

57rik

Howdy....I just stumbled onto this site. Didn’t know it existed. Being a few years past this post, not sure if questions on the bike were answered. Anyway, the bike was indeed from the NJ/NY area. I don’t remember the owners name, but I met him at a NY City bike show at the Coliseum around 1985 or so. The main engraving was done by Rudy Pena, but I did the top tree on the front end to match Rudy’s work. Owner was in a time frame pinch. And yes, the aluminum was acid etched according to him. Told me it would turn into a “Fizzie” if left in the acid too long! I chucked all my old paperwork a few years back, so knowing the owners name at this point would be a miracle. Where did these pictures surface from? Thanks for the memories!
I was wondering if anyone out there can identify whose work this is. It is from 1972, and possibly from the New Jersey area originally. Initials can be seen in one photo. Thanks, Ben
I added a few more pictures. Thanks you everyone for your posts.
Ben

Latest posts

Sponsors