Help, please: color combination

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a link to the video that got me motivated to learn engraving..im currently working on my glock 26. I have other questions but this is where im at now, I just ordered the paint duracoat for my glock. Now as you can see this is painted in just a single color..I would like to have mine two tone. I ordered colors black and tan...this is my thought I would like the background to be tan and all the rest to be black..what do you think? Or should i make the background black and the rest of the slide tan?

I would like for the tribals to really stand out any suggestions.

1. if you suggest something please explain why as others may also learn from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYmnrqj8mw&feature=share&list=FL2QlobwmrSAw2TjXw4eNMiw

Mine still removing background

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
first-- a quite interesting design concept. i don't recall anybody posting such design work. 2nd i'm not sure of the paint you mention. 3rd my personal preference would be dark background and lighter design color. if you like, you could make a few drawings and color them different ways. this may give you a clue as to how you would like the final job to look. please show us how you do this. i'm sure i'm not the only member that's curious about how this turns out.

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
The problem you'll have with Duracoat is that it is designed to be sprayed on. To get a two tone look you will have to spray the whole thing in one color and then mask off the correct areas and spray with the second color. Basically you will have to mask off the entire slide and then use a razor blade to cut and remove the mask without cutting too deep and getting into the base coat. The night sights will have to be removed/ protected to keep from damaging them during the sand blasting and painting process as well.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The problem you'll have with Duracoat is that it is designed to be sprayed on. To get a two tone look you will have to spray the whole thing in one color and then mask off the correct areas and spray with the second color. Basically you will have to mask off the entire slide and then use a razor blade to cut and remove the mask without cutting too deep and getting into the base coat. The night sights will have to be removed/ protected to keep from damaging them during the sand blasting and painting process as well.

I was thinking of adding the main color By spray then and the background would be brush painted on

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are going to lose some depth with duracoat. All fine shading will disappear. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374169845.161518.jpg

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why don't you remove the finish completely. Have it blued. Then selectively French Grey the raised portions?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How durable is the French grey. And what material what I need to buy to do this, I already invested in duracoat and an airbrush

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
French grey is as durable as bluing. You would use fingernail polish and naval jelly.

monk

Staff member
the james b. meeks book, "the art of engraving", shows a way to achieve good contrast. i think on some of his guns he would work them in the "white", then go with maybe birchwood-casey cold bluing. using very small artist brushes you can selectively darken the areas you want. this would result in a more or less "blue & white" contrast. but you would have no color. most engravers do not favor leaving part of the gun in the unfinished "white" stage.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the james b. meeks book, "the art of engraving", shows a way to achieve good contrast. i think on some of his guns he would work them in the "white", then go with maybe birchwood-casey cold bluing. using very small artist brushes you can selectively darken the areas you want. this would result in a more or less "blue & white" contrast. but you would have no color. most engravers do not favor leaving part of the gun in the unfinished "white" stage.

Wow..it would just happen to be that. .someone from this forum is about to gift me just that book!

Carlos De La O III

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I DuraCoated my AR. It is fairly durable, but it is paint, and does wear off. Perhaps another way to get your two tone effect would be to have the slide refinished using whatever process Glock uses, then DuraCoat the low areas in brown. That gives you the colors you want while putting the more durable finish on the high parts. Just a thought.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The picture I sent you wasn't Duracote it was cerakote. It is an oven backed paint like Duracote that is harder and longer lasting.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you coordinating the colors with the integral color of the frame, or is the frame color a third color?

You may want to consider more traditional engraved finishing methods on the slide, then shoot the frame, and/or frame components, to match the slide background or design - based on your desired visual effect.

To salvage your airbrush investment, you can also use it as an air eraser for finishing and metal prep work.

Just some things to consider.
sd.

All the original color will be removed. I was thinking of shooting the whole slide one single corner and then with a very fine brush doing the background. Quick question what do you mean by eraser for the airbrush

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the colored polymer frame???

An 'air eraser' is basically a tiny sand blaster using an airbrush, or similar tool, to drive very fine media.

Remember to think through the color scheme for the entire gun in your design, not just the slide. It will be a much nicer project if it all coordinates.
sd.

Frame is black..

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Frame is black..and can't change that. . I know I can always paint over it but I would like it to stay black

Here is a picture

I'm not done removing the background yet just an f.y.i

Carlos De La O III

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
well, the "meeks book" isn't the latest, greatest-- but this book gives one many good ideas and techniques that have withstood the test of time. it's a beautiful intro to newbies, to see most of the disciplines one should learn to do competent engraving.