GRS System 3

Boris

Have been trying to find some comparisons and opinions on the GRS System 3 from an independent view, and have not found a whole lot of discussions. Did see a thread a while back, on another engraver forum, but there was a little too much emphasis on where the design originated, and not enough on the performance from an unbiased view.

The politics of the origin aside, I am more interested in how it works, than where the "works" came from. The price is not bad, and it looks like its designed to do what other systems do, especially from a "hobby" view, where one does not intend to make a living with it. I am going to purchase a system, just dont know what I want yet. Beside considering the System 3, I do like the looks and features of the Gravermax too. A Lindsy Graver would be a consideration, but its a little too pricey to justify as a "Toy" which is what it would be to me, for hobby and playing with.

Any opinions would be welcome and helpful, as far as advantages and disadvantages of whats available out there..

Mark Zirlin

Hello Boris
my dad working with this system, every time he engraving he says that he was surprised again. The tool is working fast and good, one of the advantages that he worked on air. Here some pictures of the engraving with the tool.

If you have any questions I'll answer you.

hybridfiat

Ive got a System 3 and as a "toy" it works ok. Id still advise saving and getting a better engraver. Ive read and I emphasise read that the Ngrave is better but perhaps someone with experience of both could comment.
I am saving for a Lindsey Classic but Im hoping to make this more than just hobby.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Boris,

There are a lot of used GraverMeisters out there and while the new ones are far more expensive than the System 3, a used one sells in the $500. range. For a hobbiest, the 'meister will do anything you will ever need. They are very rugged so buying a used one is not a problem. I used my 'meister for 30 years before upgrading. It has never been serviced or failed in any way. Another point for the 'meister is that you don't need an air compressor. On the down side the little vaccum pump runs constantly but it never bothered me.

RB

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud

I was going to mention the Graversmith as a better alternative but coming from you (who actually has one) it should have even more impact.

In 2007 when I was looking at systems I was told it would be much better to get a GraverMach than a System 3. I was told the System 3 is meant for factory type work rather than fine engraving.

Now that there's the GraverSmith for only $200 more I don't think a System 3 is a good choice.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Personally, I don't care for the system 3.
I use a Lindsay Artisan with a foot pedal, a Lindsay palm control and I have a gravermax also.
I keep bits in all three, I use the Artisan for general cutting, leaves and borders etc, the PC for fine shading and the Gravermax for peening and stippling.

If I was going to have one tool only, and if I had a limited budget, I would get the Artisan, it is the best for the money by any measure in my estimation.

It can do any job, can take the optional heavy piston for heavy work, and can do the litest work also, being the very best tool for working on the pearl, which reguires the most delicate precision.

jldj

I agree with Barry. I am only a beginning engraver but have been a jeweler for 9 yrs. I am currently using an Artisan at work in a repair enviornment. It makes stone setting a breeze. It is great for the high production work I do. I'm using it with a 5lb. Co2 setup that lasts a considerably long time for the beading, tightening, and stone replacing jobs I encounter regularly.

Boris

Thanks for all the information, and the abundance of choices. Thought I would start looking at choices a bit early, since It will be Xmas before I make the plunge. Right now its the only piece I am lacking, besides a sharpening fixture. I already have the diamond laps, about 100 various gravers, a large and small ball vise, rotary tools, a Microscope, a silent compressor, a shop compressor, bead cabinets, kilns, lathe, mill, and much more. Engraving has always had a special interest to me, and I marvel at the work I see here. Just figured it was my time to play with it this year.

BTW: I did not see anyone say what they did not like about the System 3 in particular.

Thanks again...
Boris

Last edited:

Lynda Schreck

In my opinion the GraverSmith is a great tool. There are 3 possibilities for handpieces with this equipment. Take a look at the monarch, the 901or the magnum. It depends on what you want to engrave as to which would be your best choice. It is extremely versitile and easy to use. If you are using a compressor with oil in it be sure to get a coalesing oil filter no matter what system you choose. None of them can tolerate oil contamination.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did not see anyone say what they did not like about the System 3 in particular.
Boris,
I tried to ascertain the features of the less expensive systems about 6 months ago. Apparently since so few use them, no opinions can be offered. One respondent who had one described them as "industrial". It's the Yugo of engravers. Most use the F-150 and the race drivers use Ferraris.

At any time, there are GMax's and Meisters for sale in good condition in the For Sale section of this forum and on eBay. There are half a dozen there now. People buy them new, find it's harder than they thought, and dump them at a discount. If you watch diligently, you can pick up a unit complete with 2 handpieces and foot pedal for $350 to $1200....

rodstan

Boris,
I have 2 system 3s which I bought many years ago, mainly because there was not much to go wrong with them and there was no GRS agent in Australia.
I found they worked well, but not having anything to compare them with I was just pleased they removed metal.I have never had a problem with either but the cutting was a little coarse and a little difficult on starting cuts. I have since lightened off the piston and return spring and use them at a far lower air pressure--hence they are easier to control and do more delicate cuts. I think the current range of graversmith/gravermach would be far more controllable without having to do modifications---I only do very fine cutting.I use a Lindsay because it matches the light power range that I use and at the time Gravermachs were not available.
The System 3 is a good tool but there is better available from either company.It all depends on your needs and what style of engraving you wish to do.I engrave watches and components--I need fine control, so my choices are mine.Friends have the newer grs systems and are extremely happy--as I am with my choices.
If nothing else they do work extremely well and I can not say anything bad about them at all-- I just deeded to do a few mods to suit me ( hope GRS dont mind :))
regards from OZ
Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors