Practice Quarter

DM1975

I whittled on this Quarter some tonight. Not sure exactly what I'm doing still with push graving but I'm trying to learn. I'm not grinding my knuckles as much as I had been when I do skip, so maybe I'm learning how to push a little better. Also my gravers may not be the right degree (mostly guessing at it anyway) or not sharp enough, but it is getting easier.

I also am not running as deep as I was when I started and gouging the coin as much, now when I hit the copper it's usually only on purpose when I'm doing a deep relief where I want it to show. I'm also getting better at teeth.

Also, here is one of the guitar picks I made today. All push graved, no rotary tool.

IMG_0058.jpg

final.jpg

DM1975

Thanks. I also made this chasing hammer this week. Got the idea of using a valve on line somewhere so I grabbed an old valve I have from a torn down HD Evolution I'm rebuilding so I grabbed that and a big nut, took a ball peen hammer handle and whittled it down some, run the nut down on it, drilled a hale through it and drove the valve into the slightly undersized hole I drilled in it.

IMG_0067.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
these look much better than yer first ones. your hammer is fancier than the 3 i made from valves. jj got it right-- somewhere in the forum catacombs theres fotos of the ones i made. hobos are much easier to do if one makes some rather small tools to aid in their execution. worn out dental burrs work very well for this. john baraclough created a tip on how to adapt such to standard holders. go to the site search bar at page top. you'll find jb's way of doing these little tools.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Nice hammer . I like the Vermont quarter too. Just seeing the valve made me think one would probably sharpen into a nice graver too. It would have a built in push handle.

DM1975

Heck, I have no idea what I'm doing in the first place, but these sharpened punches are working pretty good for me right now. Eventually I'll get it right. :fastgraver::thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Heck, I have no idea what I'm doing in the first place, but these sharpened punches are working pretty good for me right now. Eventually I'll get it right. :fastgraver::thumbsup:

you're not alone, bro. most of us don't know what we are doing--- that's why we do it. it's just for the adventure!